Details: Salary range: 30K-35K
2090 Seventh Avenue
HEAF is a comprehensive supplemental education and youth development organization that works to help motivated students develop the intellectual curiosity, academic ability, social values and personal resiliency they need to ensure success in school, career and life. HEAF identifies scholars in middle school and supports them until they have successfully graduated from four-year colleges through a variety of after-school, Saturday and summer educational and youth development programs. The Onward Program Coordinator is responsible for coordinating services for high school seniors and college students.
Program and Position Description:
The Onward College Support program provides comprehensive college access, planning, and persistence programming for all high school and college students. The programming is designed to help students gain acceptance into best fit colleges and universities with the goal of graduation and career readiness. The foundation of support in college focuses on: supporting students academically, including help them access and utilize the campus resources; ensuring that students are keeping their financial commitments; and making sure that students are adapting well to college life.
We are looking for an Onward Program Coordinator who is a self-starter with strong organizational skills and follow through. Our ideal candidate is insightful with a high energy level, commitment to excellence, and a diligent work ethic. The Onward Program Coordinator assists the Director of College Quest in shaping the direction and implementation of all Onward related programming, to ensure that all high school students are adequately prepared for college in accordance with the mission of the organization. As such, the Program Coordinator is expected to build and maintain strong relationships with all college students & alumni and their families. The Program Coordinator plays an active role in the implementation of all Onward programming. The Program Coordinator works diligently to ensure high school students’ successful matriculation and subsequent graduation from accredited four-year colleges or universities. This includes monitoring and coordinating the college application process; including, college tour planning, mentor recruitment, SAT preparation, college applications, financial aid, scholarships, and a successful transition into college.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
College Access & Exposure
- Educate and counsel students and parents about the college application, scholarship, and financial aid processes through individual and group planning meetings;
- Facilitate weekly college workshops for all high school students;
- Develop relationships with college financial aid and admissions offices and schedule site visits to HEAF throughout the year;
- Coordinate trips and activities, including a 5-day college tour, college visits, and weekend retreat;
- Monitor and track student progress and attendance;
- Coordinate and manage a comprehensive Scholarship Help Desk; and
- Track students’ college application submissions, acceptances, FAFSA completion and financial aid award letters.
- Create the database and outreach mechanism for summer internship placements
College Success & Persistence
- Assist in creation of summer transition workshop series for all newly matriculating college freshman;
- Assist in recruitment and training of College Success Coaches for HEAF’s College Success Coach Program.
- Manage and support cohort of volunteer college success coaches for HEAF's college success coach program.
- B.A. in Education or related field
- A minimum of 2 - 3yrs experience working with high school and college students
- Ability and willingness to travel
- Strong organizational, computer, and interpersonal skills
- Volunteer management experience
- Bilingual (Spanish/English) preferred
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To apply: Send cover letter and resume to:
Harlem Educational Activities Fund
2090 Seventh Avenue, 10th floor
New York, NY 10027
Associate Director, College Quest
Fax (212) 663-9736