1776 Massachusetts Avenue Northwest
District of Columbia
FWD.us is looking for a Director of Human Resources to join its team as the organization continues to expand into a long-term, multi-issue organization. The Director of Human Resources will be based in Washington, D.C., report to the COO of FWD.us, and will serve as a key member of the operations team, managing human resources, people operations, and talent support functions within the organization.
We are looking for someone in this role with experience dealing with the communities we fight for and can best support the diversity of our staff and consultants.
The ideal candidate is a self-starter; can manage multiple projects; likes working in a solutions-oriented, fast-paced campaign-like environment; and welcomes operating in a bipartisan framework that values working with those directly impacted and non-traditional allies to achieve public policy victories.
- Deep understanding of HR policies, procedures, employment regulations and compliance
- Experience leading a team and digging into the work yourself
- Experience building up a people operations function
- Experience with HRIS systems, especially in implementing new systems
- A passion for making “HR” work for the people on the team
- A strong attention to detail and emphasis on providing positive solutions
- Committed to building and maintaining a healthy and productive work culture
- Experience working directly with immigrant communities, or individuals impacted by the criminal justice system
- Manage all human resources functions of the organization
- Manage a small team, but also execute on a variety of HR and personnel functions
- Implement and maintain an HRIS that meets the organization's needs
- Manage all payroll and benefits functions of the organization, including day-to-day implementation as well as improving systems and recommending and managing benefits changes
- Maintain responsibility for organization compliance with federal, state and local regulations pertaining to all personnel matters and ensure organization’s compliance
- Coordinate operational side of recruitment, onboarding and offboarding
- Review and make recommendations to senior management for improvement of the organization's policies, procedures and practices on personnel matters
- Communicate changes in the organization's personnel policies and procedures and ensure that proper compliance is followed
- Assist senior management in the annual review, preparation and administration of the organization's wage and salary program
- Work directly with department managers to assist them in supporting individuals and teams to be successful in their work
- Develop and execute staff development functions for the organization
- Other duties as required
Education and Experience
- 5-8 years of experience in the human relations and/or people operations functions of mid-size organizations or companies
- SHRM-CP, SHRM-SCP or PHR certification a plus
Compensation and benefits: Starting salary commensurate with experience. We offer health, dental, and vision insurance benefits, matching 401k and sick leave, holiday schedules, and a family leave policy.
FWD.us is a bipartisan organization started by leaders in the tech community to promote policies to keep the United States and its citizens competitive in a global economy, starting with commonsense immigration reform and criminal justice reform.
Minimum Education Required