Full Time Temporary
252 West 37th Street
KIDS IN NEED OF DEFENSE (KIND)
INTERIM PRO BONO COORDINATING ATTORNEY – LEGAL SERVICES
NEW YORK CITY
Kids in Need of Defense (KIND) is an innovative partnership among the Microsoft Corporation, Angelina Jolie and other interested philanthropists, law firms and corporate supporters. As the leading national organization that works to ensure that no refugee or immigrant child faces immigration court alone, KIND is dedicated to providing pro bono representation as well as positive systemic change in both law and policy to improve the protection of unaccompanied immigrant and refugee children. KIND also engages in programming in Central America and Mexico to promote the best interests and protection of migrant children throughout the region. Launched in fall 2008, KIND is headquartered in Washington, DC and has 10 field offices across the United States.
KIND seeks an Interim Pro Bono Coordinating Attorney in KIND’s New York field office to help develop, maintain, and oversee the provision of pro bono legal representation to unaccompanied children through KIND’s network of major law firms, corporate partners, and law schools. This is a temporary full time position starting immediately through May 11, 2018.
The Interim Pro Bono Coordinating Attorney will recruit, train and mentor volunteer firm and corporate attorneys to ensure effective pro bono representation of individual child clients before immigration and state courts, and immigration agencies. The Interim Pro Bono Coordinating Attorney will also engaged in a limited number of direct representation cases, representing unaccompanied children.
EDUCATIONAL & EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
Admission to practice law, preferably in New York, and at least one to three years of experience practicing immigration law.
- At least one to three years of experience practicing immigration law, which should include representation of clients in humanitarian immigration claims such as asylum, Special Immigrant Juvenile Status, U visas and T visas;
- Family law experience a plus;
- Experience working with children, preferably immigrant and refugee children, or experience working with survivors of abuse, human trafficking, or other trauma;
- A strong record of cultural competence and cross-cultural communication skills;
- Spanish speaking preferred;
- An understanding of the private law firm and corporate pro bono culture and the ability to be a well-respected and effective representative of the program to all stakeholders;
- Supervisory experience, preferably in legal setting;
- Mentoring and training experience;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills;
- Excellent professional judgment;
- Ability to hit the ground working, multi-task, and work independently; and
- Ability to work collaboratively.
Commensurate with education and experience.
Senior Pro Bono Coordinating Attorney – New York Office
Responsibilities of the Interim Pro Bono Coordinating Attorney will include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Conduct or oversee legal intakes and the provision of know-your-rights information to child clients;
- Match child clients with pro bono attorneys;
- Recruit, train, and provide hands-on mentorship to pro bono attorneys representing unaccompanied children in immigration matters and related family law matters;
- Develop and maintain updated guidance materials, sample filings, and legal training presentations;
- Foster and manage KIND relationships with law firms and corporate counsel in coordination with the Director of Pro Bono Recruitment and Training;
- Assist in office operations, including case management, data entry and maintenance, and reports;
- Assist in supervision, training, and mentoring of program support staff in consultation with the Senior Pro Bono Coordinating Attorney and Managing Attorney;
- Collaborate with KIND management in support of KIND’s mission; and
- Participate in conferences, meetings, and trainings as needed.
Work is generally performed within the office environment, includes significant telephone contact with pro bono attorneys.
This position may have occasional travel.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Applications, including a cover letter, resume, salary requirements, writing sample and contact information for three professional references, should be submitted online at: https://supportkind.org/jobs/. Applications that do not contain all of the above-listed required materials will not be considered.
Applications should be submitted as soon as possible, and not later than the posted deadline. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled, and applicants selected for interviews will be duly notified. Please no inquiries or phone calls.
KIND is an EOE committed to inclusive hiring and dedicated to diversity in both its staff and work. The selected applicant will be asked to undergo a background check before acceptance of the final offer