570 14th Street
Oakland Rising (OR), a fiscally sponsored project of Movement Strategy Center, is a collaboration of social justice organizations that have a long-term, shared vision for winning a community-based political infrastructure and governing majority in Oakland that centers racial, economic and environmental justice. Over the past eight years, OR’s political operation has grown into one of the largest, most enduring and most sophisticated programs in the region, having built a voter base with Oakland’s working-class, immigrant and communities of color that comprises over 25% of the electorate in Oakland. OR has helped to craft and win policies for racial, economic and environmental justice and has advanced a vision for transformational governance in Oakland and beyond. We now seek a proven leader with significant experience as a trainer, coalition builder, political practitioner and transformational approach to grow and implement our leadership development programs and movement building vision.
The Leadership Development Director will manage our leadership development programs to build the political power of working-class people of color and immigrants in Oakland and beyond. The position requires the development, management, implementation and evaluation of ambitious power-building and movement-building programs that integrate with our civic engagement and coalition work. The Leadership Development Director will recruit, vet, train and hold accountable progressives and elected representatives seeking or established in public leadership positions, helping to bridge the gap between the progressive movement and governance. This position reports to the Political Director and works closely with the Program Team, Advisory Committee and collaborative partners.
The ideal candidate will be a self-starting, enterprising thinker with at least 3 years of experience working on curriculum development, political campaigns, with advocacy organizations and in complex coalition spaces. They will have deep grounding in the social justice movement, sharp racial, economic and environmental justice analysis, and a demonstrated commitment to movement building and transformational, values-based leadership. They will bring strong program management experience, and a proven commitment to coaching and developing the leadership of others.
Primary Roles and Responsibilities:
Program Development and Implementation (50%)
1. Continue to develop, implement, evaluate and refine Oakland Rising’s leadership development work, primarily Lead East Bay and the Values Based Leadership programs.
2. Create and improve curriculum for the training programs, including the coordination and preparation of thoughtful panels and presentations that center the racial and economic justice work of our partners and allies.
3. Recruit, identify, and vet grassroots leaders from working-class communities of color to seek public leadership opportunities, building a deep bench of future leaders in Alameda County and the wider Bay Area region.
4. Work with our collaborative partners to identify and implement ways for their member-leaders to develop and advance their leadership skills to ensure truly grassroots based representation.
5. Work with our Senior Management Team and collaborative partners to develop and implement methods to hold elected representatives accountable to working class communities of color in Oakland.
6. Provide coaching, technical assistance and consultation to project participants.
Coalition and Alliance Building (30%)
1. Develop and maintain strong relationships with coalition partners, labor union representatives, allied organizations, communities of color and policymakers to assist recruitment efforts and increase community awareness of the project.
2. Represent the project at meetings, conferences and conventions to aid recruitment, to ensure the project is integrated into local allies’ plans and priorities, and to raise the profile of the project.
Political Research and Reporting (10%)
1. Conduct research on the targeted counties’ landscape using all available geographic, demographic, and political data.
2. Develop, maintain and manage comprehensive database of current and potential public leaders.
1. Provide regular reports, work plans and strategic plans to the Leadership Team.
2. Develop funder plans and reports pertaining to leadership development.
3. Prepare blog posts, social media content, editorials and related materials as needed.
Compensation and Benefits:
Competitive salary between $60,000 - $70,000 depending on experience, in addition to comprehensive health, vision, dental and basic life insurance, and a team-oriented yet flexible working environment.
Please submit resume, cover letter and three professional references to Jobs@OaklandRising.org
Position open until filled, with interviews starting mid-September.
Oakland Rising is a fiscally-sponsored project of Movement Strategy Center (MSC). MSC is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion or belief, disability, gender, nationality, ethnicity, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or any other status protected by law. Women, people of color, LGBTQ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
comprehensive health, vision, dental and basic life insurance
Minimum Education Required