BronxWorks helps individuals and families improve their economic and social well-being. From toddlers to seniors, we feed, shelter, teach, and support our neighbors to build a stronger community. In all aspects of our work, we strive for the highest ethical and performance standards and is guided by the belief that people are to be treated with dignity and respect regardless of their present situation or past experiences. We have 34 locations throughout the borough providing a variety of programs that offer assistance in the areas of family, children and youth support, educational services, elder care, homelessness, mental health and workforce development. We are an employer of choice for anyone interested in a meaningful career in the social services field.
BronxWorks is hiring 1 Internship Coordinator for the Children and Youth Department.
Coordinate internship program at the Jill Chaifetz Transfer School (JCTS) to ensure that identified students receive supported work experience, mentorship, and career counseling services. Solicit, cultivate, and develop relationships with potential internship sites within identified job sectors. Provide follow-up. Maintain accurate records including but not limited to contracts with worksites, internship performance evaluations, and records of hours worked. Collaborate with the Education Coordinator for post-secondary counseling, and with case managers to support consistent school attendance and academic achievement. Conduct weekly Learning-To-Work seminars and internship site visits. Perform counseling duties consistent with the needs of program participants. Escort youth on job shadowing events. Collaborate with Education Coordinator to produce College/Career Fairs.
- Establish a rapport with program participants while adhering to the primary person model.
- Serve as primary internship counselor for the Jill Chaifetz Transfer School; supervise all employment activities and the documentation of records for all student interns.
- Prepare and facilitate Learning to Work seminars and career advisement workshops both in school and after school.
- Provide academic support to students by pushing into classrooms and collaborating with DOE teachers. Coordinate job shadowing activities and in-school presentations by guest speakers from various companies in various sectors.
- Conduct continuous job market research to inform internship opportunities for young people. Cultivate internship opportunities in -NYC priority growth sectors such as health care, technology, hospitality, culinary arts, construction and media services.
- Collaborate with private and public sector companies, including other BronxWorks programs, to provide internship sites and mentorship opportunities that support student interns.
- Conduct monthly site visits to all internship sites to support students and site supervisors.
- Coordinate job shadowing events, career days, and other events as necessary.
-Other duties as assigned.
- Minimum B.A/ B.S degree
- At least 3 years of previous experience providing counseling services
- Demonstrated interest in working with low-income students with significant hindrances to academic achievement -Knowledge of positive youth development principles
- Ability to work in a highly collaborative environment
- Detail oriented and capable of managing multiple simultaneous projects Proficient in Microsoft Excel or similar data entry software
- Workforce development/career counseling experience strongly preferred
- Ability to speak Spanish desired, but not necessary
- Experience coordinating direct service outreach event/program planning Experience working with immigrant students and families
- Familiarity with NYC Department of Education policies and procedures
BronxWorks offers a variety of benefits to full-time salaried employees as well as part-time salaried employees who work at least 20 hours per week year-round.
- Generous paid time off for personal, vacation, parental, and medical leave
- 12 paid holidays.
- Comprehensive medical, and life insurance coverage care for employees and their families, at little or no cost to employees.
- A pension plan that is 100% employer paid
- Two tax deferred annuity plans and employee assistance in maximizing the pension plan and tax deferred annuity plans to prepare for retirement.
- TransitChek – Employees may use TransitChek to have money taken out of their pretax salaries to pay for their public transportation commute.
- Free and confidential assessment, counseling, and referral service, to assist employees and their families with a wide range of personal problems.
ADDITIONALLY, BronxWorks Offers:
- A comprehensive monthly training calendar
- Access to some scholarship opportunities
- Non-financial support and internship opportunities for employees who return to school, particularly for their Master of Social Work degrees
Level of Language Proficiency
Advanced-level professional competency in written and spoken English language is required. Authorization to work in the United States for any employer is mandatory.
Minimum Education Required