Development Director - help Ignited inspire millions of students in STEM education
- Job posted by Ignited
Ignited’s vision is to foster a community of educators, scientists, engineers, and business leaders who share a commitment to ensuring that all members of our society are equipped to benefit from and contribute to the innovations in science and technology that shape our nation.
Ignited’s flagship Summer Fellowship Program, now in its 35th year, immerses teachers in hands-on internships in host companies and universities and provides support in translating those experiences into exciting and relevant classroom instruction. Ignited Teacher Fellows, in turn, inspire millions of students to actively participate in the entrepreneurial ecosystem of the San Francisco Bay Area and beyond.
Top Reasons to Join the Ignited Team:
- Thrive in a culture of passionate, dedicated and fun professionals;
- Help shape the future of an incredibly powerful program impacting educators, students and the broader community;
- Join a small, dynamic team that allows for professional growth, with each member able to make a considerable and lasting impact;
- Leave work each day knowing that you’ve contributed to building a stronger STEM literate community.
Ignited is currently strengthening its footprint in the Bay Area with an eye towards expansion into other regions across the country. Ignited is seeking an entrepreneurial Development Director to help grow Ignited by closing new business, deepening relationships with foundation and corporate partners, increasing visibility for Ignited among the philanthropic sector and building an individual giving program. The ideal candidate for this role has a strong track record of building partnerships for revenue generation, is passionate about marketing and brand building, and is familiar with the landscape of technology firms and philanthropic organizations in Silicon Valley and beyond. This is a unique opportunity to shape Ignited’s future in a role that encompasses both thought leadership and operational responsibility for developing relationships, raising funds, and implementing programs.
Because of you, Ignited will grow its revenue rapidly and will be able to serve millions of more students!
Responsibilities for this position include:
- Partner with CEO to build new corporate partnerships leading to growth of the Summer Fellowship Program from 60 to 100 Fellows in 2019;
- Work with Board of Directors Development Committee to build a robust donor base for Ignited’s annual fund and grow individual giving;
- Shape and leverage Ignited’s brand identity, creating stronger recognition of Ignited as a nimble and premier business-education partnership through the implementation and development of a marketing plan;
- Build knowledge of and deepen relationships with key partners and funders through research, regular face-to-face meetings, fundraising and cultivation of events;
- Manage all aspects of grant writing from researching prospects to final report and potentially manage a contract grant writer;
- Develop and launch of peer-to-peer engagement strategy building advocates and champions by tapping into network of 5,000 alumni (teachers and mentors) of the Ignited Summer Fellowship Program;
- Collaborate with CEO, Board of Directors and other volunteers to increase foundation and corporate philanthropic funding;
- Manage events to recognize and honor Ignited’s stakeholders.
We seek a team player who is operationally strong and fluent in account management and knowledge management best practices, as well as an inspirational leader who can work with the executive team and Board of Directors to set vision and strategy. Success in this role will necessitate the use of data to drive decision making, the ability to build strong relationships with multiple stakeholders, and charisma and communications skills to inspire corporate partners, funders, colleagues and Ignited’s teacher fellows.
The successful candidate will be a motivated, results-driven self-starter, who can see and advance the “big picture” while still being detail oriented. S/he has excellent organizational skills and enjoys working in a fast-paced, high energy, collaborative environment toward the goal of powerfully impacting the STEM education system. The job duties will be comprised of about 40% key account relationship stewardship, 40% new partner generation, and 20% grant writing.
The position requires:
- Minimum eight years fundraising, business development or sales experience, including developing a strong network of potential partners;
- Proven track record to generate revenue, establish senior-level partnerships and negotiate complex deals;
- Experience as an account manager, servicing multiple accounts on a day-to-day basis;
- Demonstrated ability to think creatively, work independently and accomplish goals;
- Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills, including confident public speaking and successful grant writing;
- Knowledge of the California public education system and industry-education issues preferred;
- Experience creating and/or managing individual giving programs a plus;
- For-profit experience welcomed;
- Proficiency with Salesforce, MS Office software (Word, Excel and PowerPoint) and email programs.
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree preferred.
Position Term, Hours, Location and Salary:
The Development Director reports directly to the CEO. The position is a full-time, exempt position based at the Ignited office within Agilent Technologies in Santa Clara, California. This position is subject to the policies and procedures listed in the Ignited Employee Handbook. Salary is competitive, based on qualifications and potential contributions to Ignited. Generous benefit including medical, dental, vision, life and long-term disability insurance, PTO and the option to participate in our 401(k) plan. Ignited is an equal opportunity employer.
Please send resume with cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Minimum Education Required