Details: This is a full-time position. Salary and title are commensurate with skills and experience.
Regional Plan Association is seeking a talented and dedicated Manager of Foundation Relations to join the development team. The Manager of Foundation Relations will develop and implement cultivation strategies for a diverse range of institutional and foundation funders, and work in partnership with RPA program staff to identify prospects and develop effective fundraising materials. The Manager will play a key role in advancing the ideas of the Fourth Regional Plan to create a more equitable region, a region that can meet the challenges of a changing climate and a modern, customer-oriented transportation system.
- Develop foundation engagement and cultivation strategies in partnership with program staff and executive team.
- Maintain a working knowledge of the interests and expectations of the organization’s foundation funders.
- Take the lead on writing select materials, and adapting written materials for a variety of audiences, ranging from major institutional foundations, to corporate and government funding sources, to family foundations.
- Work in partnership with program staff to develop fundraising materials, including concept notes and proposals, project budgets and financial reports, program updates and narrative reports.
- Research and identify potential foundation funders and analyze grantmaking strategies.
- Manage the pipeline of all current and prospective foundation funders, including submission process and deadlines, renewals and deliverable deadlines, and ensuring deadlines are met.
- Prepare briefing materials for meetings between RPA executive team and program staff and foundations, and staff those meetings.
- Serve as a member of a small development department team working to ensure the fiscal and long-term viability of the organization.
- Bachelor’s degree and at least 5 to 7 years experience working in foundation relations for a non-profit development department
- Superior writing skills and demonstrated experience developing proposals for large institutional foundations
- Strong proficiency and affinity for the preparation of budgets and expenditure reports
- Strong commitment to Regional Plan Association’s areas of focus
- Team player with strong communications and interpersonal skills
- Ability to make judgment calls in a variety of situations
- Effective in a fast-paced environment and eager to contribute to the collaborative dynamic of the department and organization as a whole
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Able to work independently, nimbly manage multiple deadlines
- Windows and Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, and database software proficiency
The position is based in RPA’s new office in Lower Manhattan, although occasional travel to other areas within the New York-New Jersey-Connecticut region may be needed. Work may occasionally include evening or weekend meetings.
RPA conducts research, advocacy, and planning on regional and national priorities, including open space and environmental sustainability, transportation, economic development, and governance. Our team of talented professionals is passionate about developing and sharing ideas that foster thriving, healthy cities and communities.
We are an independent, nonpartisan, nonprofit organization based in New York City, with offices in Stamford, CT, and Princeton, NJ. We encourage a challenging, collaborative and fun work environment. We also believe in work-life balance.
RPA is a workplace that values diversity. Employment and promotional opportunities are equal opportunity without regard to race, color, gender, age, sexual orientation, disability or any other protected characteristic as established by law.
RPA offers a generous package of benefits including health care, dental, transit and biking benefits, and a retirement plan. RPA also offers the opportunity for staff to participate in a wide variety of events with thought leaders from around the city and the globe.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please submit your cover letter, resume, three references and two writing samples to the jotform link. Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis until the position is filled. Because of the high volume of applications we receive, we regret that we are unable to reply to every applicant. We kindly request no phone calls or emails.
Applications without all attachments will not be considered.