ABOUT DC CENTRAL KITCHEN:
DC Central Kitchen (DCCK) is an iconic nonprofit and social enterprise that combats hunger and poverty through job training and job creation. Our approach provides hands-on culinary job training while creating living-wage jobs and bringing nutritious, dignified food where it is most needed in our city. We serve scratch-cooked farm-to-school meals in DC schools; deliver fresh, affordable produce to corner stores in neighborhoods without supermarkets; provide delicious catering; and operate fast-casual cafes. Above all else, we are committed to creating a more just, equitable, and inclusive community, both outside our doors and right here on our team. We strive to offer a safe environment to learn, discover and develop individual strengths, and pursue meaningful career pathways. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we recognize and work to address the lasting effects of historic injustices and systemic racism, and we strongly encourage people of color, women, LGBTQ people, returning citizens, and people who have experienced poverty or homelessness to apply to join our team. All qualified persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, family responsibilities, disability, matriculation, or political affiliation.
Reporting to the Director of Marketing & Communications as a member of the Development & Communications team, the Marketing Coordinator is responsible for executing marketing-related tasks in support of DCCK’s fundraising, programs, and events. The Marketing Coordinator will work closely with DCCK’s Design & Digital Media Specialist and Events Specialist to develop marketing collateral and content that advances DCCK’s brand, visibility, fundraising, and programmatic goals. This individual will be a proven team player and interested in building experience across a broad array of communications and marketing functions, including graphic design, digital marketing, website management, and fundraising event management.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Support Design & Digital Media Specialist in maintaining DCCK’s brand identity and in creating branded collateral for DCCK programs, including product labels, cafe and catering menus, one-pagers, flyers, and other materials.
- Support Design & Digital Media Specialist in managing photo and social media requests from DCCK programs and departments; collect and organize digital photo and video assets; pull top-quality photos for use in public-facing and programmatic materials.
- Collaborate with program staff in creating, editing, and reviewing marketing materials using online design tool, Canva.
- Coordinate and oversee shoots with videographers and photographers and serve as an on-staff photographer for events.
- Support Events Specialist in coordinating event logistics, drafting event marketing content for email and social media, and attending fundraising events.
- Contribute to content generation for website and social media platforms, including working with Design & Digital Specialist to draft blog posts and social content and maintaining DCCK’s website with relevant organizational updates, blog posts, changes to program information, etc.
- Update website for DC Central Kitchen’s fundraising event, Capital Food Fight, with input and direction from Events Specialist.
- Support restaurant outreach and coordinate silent/virtual auctions for fundraising events and with supervision from Events Specialist.
- Work with Development Operations Manager to create and edit ticketing pages for fundraising events.
- Work with Development and Communications team in developing marketing and fundraising emails, with special attention to organizing and maintaining email lists.
- Prior work, educational, volunteer, or internship experience in marketing, communications, advocacy, or the nonprofit sector is preferred
- Desire to be part of a collaborative team of development and communications professionals
- A high level of comfort engaging with colleagues and community members to gather and shape interesting stories
- Experience generating content for common social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn) in an internship, volunteer, or work environment, and a willingness to identify and/or take photos for related content
- Proficiency with Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator)
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word and PowerPoint
- Familiarity with or strong interest in learning technical skills in WordPress and Mailchimp, to support with website management and email creation
- Strong writing and editing skills
- The incumbent must be capable of independent local travel.
- The incumbent must be able to attend occasional night and weekend events.
- The incumbent may occasionally move Audio/Visual and other office equipment or lightweight items weighing up to 20 pounds for various meeting and event needs. Some functions of this position may require moderate physical activity, including transporting, positioning, installing, or removing office equipment items, such as printers, computers, phones, and so on.
- The person in this position needs to occasionally move about inside the office and commercial kitchen space to access supplies, materials, file cabinets, office machinery, etc.; constantly operates a computer and other office productivity machinery, such as a calculator, copy machine, and computer printer; constantly positions self to access and maintain computer equipment; and must be able to remain in a stationery position for at least 50% of the time.
- The incumbent must be able to work in an environment where exposure to unusual elements such as extreme temperatures, fumes, dirt, smoke, loud noise, and a variety of odors is common.
- This job description is subject to change at any time.
- Medical and dental insurance (DCCK pays 100% of employee premiums for individual coverage)
- Vision Insurance
- Healthcare Flexible Spending Account (FSA)
- Paid Time Off (vacation, sick, and personal leave)
- 8 Company Paid Holidays
- Bonding Leave for new parents
- Commuter Benefits plan
- Matching 401(k) program
- Basic Life & Supplemental Life
- Short-Term & Long-Term Disability
- Wellness Reimbursement program
This document is an outline of the primary tasks assigned and may be changed at the discretion of management, formally or informally, either verbally or in writing. All team members are expected to assist DC Central Kitchen in achieving its goals even if such tasks are beyond the scope of this outline. The job description does not constitute an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an “at will” relationship and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.
DC Central Kitchen is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer.