1 North State Street
Communications Specialist (full-time)
Location: Los Angeles, New York or Chicago
Deadline to apply: August 10 2018
Start date: As early as September 3, 2018
About the position:
We are looking for a talented communicator to help establish a multi-channel communications strategy and media relations program across the country. We have offices in California, New York, Illinois and are quickly expanding. The Communications Specialist will report to the Communications Director.
About Jobs to Move America
Jobs to Move America is a national organization working to ensure that public investment in infrastructure creates cleaner, more efficient transportation systems, supports quality American manufacturing jobs, and generates career opportunities for workers, especially ones facing barriers to employment.
· Work with Communications Director to develop agency-wide strategic communications plan
· Work with Communications Director to help with rebranding and website redesign
· Draft and write press releases, talking points, op-eds, media advisories, and monthly newsletters
· Work with JMA staff to develop an editorial calendar that includes potential op-eds, blog posts, social media posts, etc.
· Implement campaign and communications tactics, effective frame and messaging for various campaigns
· Help maintain JMA website and manage JMA social media outlets
· Prepare and train spokespeople for media and campaign events
· Build and maintain email lists on MailChimp
· Plan and execute media events and initiatives
· Pitch and place stories in various media outlets
· Develop content, edit and manage design for all campaign materials talking points, fact sheets, reports, pamphlets, brochures, flyers, PowerPoint presentations, etc.
· Develop and manage paid advertising on Facebook, Google, and Twitter through effective targeting.
· Monitor press coverage of JMA, its partners and issues impacting our work.
· Undergraduate degree in communications, public relations, journalism or related field and/or 1+ year communications, marketing, social media, journalism or public relations experience
· Communications experience with political advocacy campaigns, nonprofits, in labor movement, or political, community organizing, strongly preferred
· Demonstrated ability to implement strategic communications tactics, craft persuasive messages
· Exceptional writing and excellent verbal and interpersonal skills.
· Must thrive in an environment with tight deadlines, changing priorities, and high-pressure.
· Graphic design, web content skills a plus
· Ability to anticipate needs and plan accordingly, coordinate complex activities, prioritize conflicting demands and meet deadline
· Demonstrated ability to work independently and as part of a team and coalition
· Self-motivated, detail oriented, driven to succeed
· Commitment to the mission and goals of the campaign, and strong demonstrated commitment to the needs and concerns of working families
· Familiarity with WordPress, MailChimp, Google Ads highly preferred
· Experience with analytical tools that measure the impact of different communication strategies (Example: Google Analytics)
· Ability to travel
Compensation: $50,000 per year salary. JMA offers full family health and dental benefits at no premium cost to the employee, 401k plan, transit passes and generous time off.
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To apply: E-mail a cover letter, résumé, sample of three work samples (press releases, blog posts, communications strategies, etc. Prefer web links if possible) to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject “Job Application: Communications Specialist.” No phone calls please.
Women and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply. We are an affirmative action employer and encourage applications from all qualified candidates regardless of race, ethnicity, age, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, religion, or disability. We work to ensure fair treatment of applicants and employees and actively enforce zero tolerance policies against discrimination and sexual harassment.