Details: $13 per hour /17-20 hours per week
4300 13th Street Northwest
District of Columbia
Asian American Leadership Empowerment and Development for Youth and Families (AALEAD) is a youth development organization. Our mission is to support low-income and underserved Asian Pacific American youth with educational empowerment, identity development, and leadership opportunities through after school, summer, and mentoring programs.
AALEAD’s Assistant Teachers support the DC Elementary School Program Teachers in providing homework support and facilitating daily enrichment lessons focused on helping students grow in AALEAD’s three outcome areas: Educational Empowerment, Identity, and Leadership. The program primarily serves low-income Asian Pacific American youth in elementary school between the ages of 5-13 and runs Monday through Friday from 3:00pm – 6:00pm at Thomson Elementary School and Bancroft Elementary School.
The DC Elementary School Program Assistant Teacher reports to the DC Elementary School Program Coordinator and DC Programs Manager.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide homework support for students individually and in small groups
- Carry out specific tasks, as directed by lead teacher, such as daily reading and writing assignments.
- Assist with the delivery of daily enrichment lessons focused on Educational Empowerment, Leadership, and Identity.
- Assist in managing classroom behavior
- Meet monthly with the DC Elementary School Program team to discuss individual youth progress and recommendations for improvement.
- Assist with attendance tracking and other program data collection as needed
- Chaperone field trips (may occur during weekends)
- Relevant experience working with youth
- Good organizational skills; strong oral and written communication skills
- Ability to communicate and interact with volunteers, youth, and parents
- Sensitivity to the needs of and the ability to work with refugee and immigrant children and families
- Attentive to details; ability to work independently and collaboratively.
Level of Language Proficiency
Mandarin, Vietnamese, or Spanish Preferred
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please submit your resume and a thoughtful cover letter to:
Charles Kuo, DC Programs Manager, firstname.lastname@example.org
by Friday, April 13, 2018 COB