New York City
Founded in 1951, the Nature Conservancy is a global conservation organization dedicated to conserving the lands and waters on which all life depends. Guided by science, we create innovative, on-the-ground solutions to our world's toughest challenges so that nature and people can thrive together. We are tackling climate change, conserving lands, waters and oceans at unprecedented scale, providing food and water sustainably and helping make cities more sustainable. One of our core values is our commitment to diversity. Therefore, we strive for a globally diverse and culturally competent workforce. Working in 72 countries, including all 50 United States, we use a collaborative approach that engages local communities, governments, the private sector, and other partners. To learn more, visit www.nature.org or follow @nature_press on Twitter.
Become a force for nature and healthy planet by joining our New York team! The Nature Conservancy is addressing the world’s most pressing conservation challenges with solutions that benefit people and nature. For more than 60 years, we’ve been working in NY to do just that! You can be a part of our mission, plus contribute to our exciting growth right here in the Empire state.
We are looking for an individual with significant urban environmental conservation experience who wants to make a difference for nature and people. The Conservancy is a global conservation leader and one of the top fundraising charities in the United States. In New York City, we have a dynamic City Program that is seeking to reach ambitious conservation goals for the Conservancy’s mission to conserve the lands and waters upon which all life depends. The City Program team is strategic and ambitious, and we have fun as we build strong, impactful relationships between the Conservancy and the New York City Program. We are looking for smart, entrepreneurial, and exceptionally emotionally-intelligent go-getters who can manage and foster solid relationships externally and internally for lasting success.
The ideal candidate will have a background and track record that includes:
· BA/BS degree and 7 years’ experience in urban environmental conservation or management or equivalent combination of education and experience.
· Experience managing complex or multiple projects, including managing finances and coordinating the work of other professionals and partners.
· Experience working to protect and improve NYC’s environmental landscape—biophysical, social, and institutional or socio-ecological system.
· Experience working with multidisciplinary teams.
· Supervisory experience, including motivating, leading, setting objectives and managing performance.
· Experience in partnership development with non-profit partners, community groups and/or government agencies.
· Fundraising experience, including concept and proposal development and reporting.
· Experience writing for a variety of audiences.
· Experience negotiating.
· Attention to detail.
· Multi-lingual and multi-cultural or cross-cultural experience appreciated.
· 10 or more years’ experience in urban environmental conservation or management or equivalent combination of education and experience.
· Knowledge of current trends and practices in urban ecology, participatory design, and/or community-based action research. Familiarity with relevant local policy.
· Ability to develop practical applications of scientific concepts and technical innovations for conservation purposes and execute new initiatives.
· Experience influencing, interpreting, and implementing conservation-relevant policy and plans.
· Experience or training in human dimensions of environmental and conservation challenges.
· Experience networking and developing partnerships (staff, academic, community, government). Politically savvy.
· Experience coordinating volunteers or other experience working with local community members.
· Communicates clearly via written, spoken, and graphical means in English.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
If you are interested in working to save the planet, want to work in a collaborative environment, and like a great benefits package then visit http://www.nature.org/careers for more information and to submit your cover letter and resume for position number 46887. Application deadline is 11:59 pm EST on November 9, 2018.
This position is based in New York City, NY.
The Nature Conservancy is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Our commitment to diversity includes the recognition that our conservation mission is best advanced by the leadership and contributions of men and women of diverse backgrounds, beliefs and culture. Recruiting and mentoring staff to create an inclusive organization that reflects our global character is a priority and we encourage applicants from all cultures, races, colors, religions, sexes, national or regional origins, ages, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity, military, protected veteran status or other status protected by law.