For nearly 100 years, the ACLU has been our nation’s guardian of liberty, working in courts, legislatures, and communities to defend and preserve the individual rights and liberties guaranteed by the Constitution and laws of the United States. Whether it’s ending mass incarceration, achieving full equality for the LGBT community, advancing racial justice, establishing new privacy protections for our digital age, or preserving the right to vote or the right to have an abortion, the ACLU takes up the toughest civil liberties and civil rights cases and issues to defend all people from government abuse and overreach. With more than one million members, activists, and supporters, the ACLU is a nationwide organization that fights tirelessly in all 50 states, Puerto Rico, and Washington, D.C., for the principle that every individual’s rights must be protected equally under the law, regardless of race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, national origin, record of arrest or conviction.
The Product & Technology Department (P-Tech) of the National office in New York City is seeking applicants for the full-time position of Fundraising Data Analyst.
The Fundraising Data Analyst reports into the Product & Technology Department’s Data Science team while embedding with the Business Operations and Support Services team. The Fundraising Data Analyst will perform detailed research and analysis to help the National Fundraising Department and nationwide Affiliate offices understand the efficacy of their fundraising efforts and support internal financial processes. They are responsible for delivering timely, high-quality reporting expertise and will be responsible for enforcing best practices and standards in reporting and record keeping to ensure end users have accurate information for making critical fundraising decisions. On a daily basis, the Analyst will regularly work with internal partners and external vendors to gather requirements, program and test reports and dashboards according to specifications, and conduct ad-hoc analysis as needed.
The Fundraising Data Analyst is entrepreneurial in nature and possesses excellent analytical skills to quantify campaign performance across multiple channels and help drive growth across those channels by delivering recommendations that influence strategy. They are very comfortable with data visualization best practices, behavioral analysis to identify high-friction points or new opportunities, and defining and reporting on metrics that drive growth. These data-driven insights will result in best practices for the Fundraising teams to follow and will also be shared with other stakeholder teams within the ACLU. In summation, the Fundraising Data Analyst acts as the key subject-matter expert regarding how the Fundraising teams can better leverage data to execute smarter campaigns in support of the ACLU’s mission.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Fundraising Data Analyst will be responsible for:
- Acting as the key liaison with the Director of Business Solutions & Strategy and national and affiliate fundraising staff while reporting into the Product & Technology’s growing Data Science & Analytics team.
- Ensuring the Product & Technology data infrastructure supports fundraising data needs, both now and roadmapping into the future.
- Implementing complex reporting solutions for enterprise CRM fundraising users.
- Working with Tableau and possibly other BI and analytics tools to develop and enhance reports for wider distribution.
- Working with end users to develop new reports and modify template reports to meet their needs using the Salesforce native report builder.
- Fielding scheduled and ad hoc reporting requests, presenting findings and proactively delivering recommendations that inform strategy; synthesizing large data sets into digestible takeaways that drive action within the fundraising teams.
- Delivering KPI reports and trends to broader stakeholders and leadership that represent the success of fundraising efforts within the larger scope of shared cross-organizational goals.
- Assisting in analyzing business requirements; understanding underlying data sources and identifying when new requirements should be supported within the data infrastructure.
- Create and manage ongoing data hygiene processes. Working with technical staff and vendors to resolve data hygiene problems and ensure the integrity of donor data.
- Serve as technical resource for visioning and functional design of reporting and BI solutions for the ACLU’s enterprise CRM.
- Perform data maintenance when necessary, including data uploads and appends.
- Support ad hoc queries and reporting needs on legacy systems for historical reporting as necessary.
- Demonstrating a commitment to diversity within the office using a personal approach that values all individuals and respects differences in regards to race, ethnicity, age, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, religion, ability, socio-economic circumstance, and record of arrest or conviction.
EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
- A Bachelor’s degree, or equivalent experience, preferably in a quantitative field.
- At least 4 years’ experience with analytics, database report writing, and/or experience and insight into cross-channel marketing, user segmentation, and fundraising CRMs, preferably in a non-profit setting.
- Strong background in report writing, technical specifications and documentation, data analysis, creating visual dashboards, and translating business needs in a complex data-driven environment.
- Proficiency with Tableau or similar BI/Analytics platforms required.
- Proficiency with SQL-based database queries and functions required.
- Exceptional Excel skills, including the ability to mine large data stats for trends, or similar programming skills; combining and manipulating data from multiple platforms and sources.
- Demonstrated knowledge of relational database best practices and concepts.
- Strong analytical background and can translate metrics into smart decisions.
- Experience with databases, including knowledge of CRM technologies such as Salesforce, audience segmentation and data integration.
- Proficiency with Salesforce native reports and dashboards preferred; familiarity with Salesforce-based NGO Connect application desirable.
- Ability to balance multiple priorities, communicate goals and build consensus to work effectively within and across departments.
- Detail oriented with strong follow-through, demonstrated ability to solve problems, ability to meet tight deadlines, multi-task and manage resources effectively.
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Commitment to the mission and goals of the ACLU.
The ACLU offers a generous and comprehensive compensation and benefits package, commensurate with experience and within parameters of the ACLU compensation scale.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
HOW TO APPLY
Please send a cover letter and resume to hrjobsINTE@aclu.org - reference [INTE-20/ACLU-W] in the subject line. Please note that this is not the general ACLU applicant email address.
Please indicate in your cover letter where you learned of this career opportunity.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
This job description provides a general but not comprehensive list of the essential responsibilities and qualifications required. It does not represent a contract of employment. The ACLU reserves the right to change the job description and/or posting at any time without advance notice.
ACLU is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. The ACLU encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status and record of arrest or conviction.
The ACLU undertakes affirmative action strategies in its recruitment and employment efforts to assure that persons with disabilities have full opportunities for employment in all positions.
We encourage applicants with disabilities who may need accommodations in the application process to contact:firstname.lastname@example.org. Correspondence sent to this email address that is not related to requests for accommodations will not be reviewed. Applicants should follow the instructions above regarding how to apply.
The ACLU comprises two separate corporate entities, the American Civil Liberties Union and the ACLU Foundation. Both the American Civil Liberties Union and the ACLU Foundation are national organizations with the same overall mission, and share office space and employees. The ACLU has two separate corporate entities in order to do a broad range of work to protect civil liberties. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “ACLU.”