About our Union
"Our union is growing and has new opportunities for smart, dedicated, and passionate people looking to work in a dynamic, progressive, and innovative labor union."
The Service Employees International Union (SEIU) is the largest and fastest-growing union in North America, with 2 million members in Healthcare, Property Services, and Public Services. SEIU is the nation’s largest healthcare union and is working to expand access to quality, affordable and secure healthcare for all. SEIU Local 105 is a growing union and represents over 7,000 healthcare and property service workers in Colorado, but concentrated in the Denver Metro area.
Are you ready to be challenged and inspired? Are you ready to do meaningful work and be part of struggles that you would tell your friends and/or grandkids about? Are you ready to do multi-faceted work that builds power for working people? If so, we want to hear from you!
About the Position
SEIU Local105 is now hiring an external Organizer to build power for service workers in, Aurora and at DIA DENVER International Airport. SEIU Local 105 is on the cutting edge of progressive activism, building the power of low-wage workers and engaging in larger social issues such as immigration and healthcare. SEIU Local 105 represents over 7,000 janitors, security officers, window cleaners, parking attendants andhealthcare and mental health workers. The Union is home to the Justice for Janitors and Stand for Security, campaigns that have successfully improved the lives of thousands of low wage and immigrant workers throughoutthe country.
Local 105 is currently running multiple organizing drives. We are looking for an
energetic, forward thinking person who is excited to be part of a movement for real social change and who wants to bepart of a team that fights and wins for workers, their families and their communities. Organizers work as part of acampaign team made up of organizers, researchers, and other campaign staff.
Do you want to join a growing and progressive union? Do you want to join the fight for the 99%? Are you ready to join the working class struggle to rebuild our economy and democracy? If you work hard, have a ‘can do’ spirit, can move others to take action, and if the fire for social justice burns in your gut—we would like to talk with you about a future with SEIU Local 105. We offer competitive salary and benefits—but more importantly: we offer the chance to develop yourself as an organizer, do work that will change your life, and engage in the kind of kick-ass struggles that you might tell your grandkids about. We are committed to building a multi-racial working class movement that can contest the 1% for power, so women and people of color are encouraged to apply.
KEY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
Participate effectively on a team of organizers and researchers to plan and implement new worker organizing & issue-driven community based social justice campaigns.
Recruit and develop the leadership abilities of workplace leaders and committees.
Work with leaders and committees to educate, agitate and motivate people to action.
Maintain accurate and detailed information on worksites and track individuals’ info and assignments.
• Gather information for legal action to protect peoples’ rights.
• Encourage participation in political and lobbying activities
• Prepare and manage work plans, calendars, files, reports and other records
Commitment to social justice
• Strong written and verbal communication skills
• Ability to effectively plan and implement work and manage time, as part of a team and individually
• Willingness and ability to work long and irregular hours, including evenings and weekends
• Flexibility for travel based on work assignments
• Experience and knowledge of computer programs is a plus (including word processing
g, desktop publishing, spreadsheet and database software)
• Driver's license and reliable car is a must
• Motivated self-starter who is also a solid team player
• Excellent oral and written communication skills
• Strong personal planning and time management skills
• The ability to work with people from other cultures and backgrounds
§ Bilingual is a plus ,preferably Amharic speaking
SALARY & BENEFITS
· Salary is competitive and flexible based on prior labor or relevant experience and staff union contract
· Full benefits package including health insurance, pension plan, car allowance, and paid vacation
Level of Language Proficiency
Spanish if Posible
Minimum Education Required