Staff Attorney National Security and Civil Rights Program
- Job posted by Asian Americans Advancing Justice - Asian Law Caucus
Details: Salary is based on our salary scale which accounts for years of relevant experience and principles of internal equity. For attorneys with 1 to 5 years of experience the range is $61,000 to $67,000.
* Applications will be considered on a rolling basis *
About Us: As the nation’s oldest legal organization focusing on the civil rights of Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders, Asian Americans Advancing Justice-Asian Law Caucus (“Advancing Justice-Asian Law Caucus”) is a leader in defending the interests of low-income immigrants. Since 1972, Advancing Justice-Asian Law Caucus has litigated high-profile cases and provided an array of services including community education, advocacy, and direct client representation. Our current program areas include National Security and Civil Rights, Immigrant Rights, Criminal Justice Reform, Voting Rights, Workers’ Rights, ASPIRE, and Housing Rights.
Our National Security and Civil Rights Program addresses structural racism and discrimination affecting Arab, Middle Eastern, Muslim, and South Asian (“AMEMSA”) communities, including but not limited to surveillance, Federal Bureau of Investigation (“FBI”) and Joint Terrorism Task Force (“JTTF”) harassment, and discriminatory immigration policies. We tackle abuses in these areas utilizing a combination of direct legal services, community outreach and education, community organizing, impact litigation, and state and local policy work.
Position Summary: Located in San Francisco, California, Advancing Justice-Asian Law Caucus seeks a passionate, enthusiastic, creative, detail-oriented, culturally competent, and self-motivated individual to join our National Security and Civil Rights Program. This staff attorney position will involve significant legal research and writing, direct legal services, impact litigation, policy advocacy, and Know Your Rights work with AMEMSA communities. The staff attorney will participate in all aspects of the Program’s work. The successful candidate will ideally start as soon as possible.
The Staff Attorney works closely with the Program Manager and two Community Advocates in the Program to maintain close relations with AMEMSA communities, identify broad patterns of abuse or other systemic civil rights violations, and address these violations through litigation, direct client services, education outreach, and policy advocacy. Attorneys work closely with the community advocates to develop and implement community outreach and programming.
- Provide direct legal services to AMEMSA clients on complex national security cases that have immigration and criminal law components
- Litigate impact cases that safeguard civil rights and liberties for AMEMSA communities
- Engage in public policy and administrative advocacy on profiling and discrimination issues
- Conduct community education and Know Your Rights events
- Participate in a range of local, statewide, national, and international coalitions, committees, and task forces
- Supervise law clerks and other volunteers
- B.A./B.S. and J.D. degrees with membership in good standing with the California State Bar
- Relevant legal experience including direct legal services and impact litigation (1 to 5 years preferred)
- Excellent legal research and writing skills
- Strong oral communication skills
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, rapid-response environment with a highly diverse group of mission-driven lawyers and staff with a range of substantive law knowledge, experience, and expertise
- Ability to work both independently and in collaboration with other attorneys, community advocates, and community-based organizations
- Demonstrated commitment to advancing the rights of low-income, AMEMSA, Asian and Pacific Islander (API), people of color, and/or immigrant communities
- Preferred experience in organizing and/or working in coalition spaces to advance the rights of low-income, AMEMSA, API, and other people of color, and/or immigrant communities
- Preferred experience in supervising non-attorney staff
- Preferred bilingual skills in Arabic, Farsi, Hindi, Urdu, or other relevant languages
Salary and Benefits: This is a full-time, exempt position. Salary is based on our salary scale, which accounts for years of relevant experience and principles of internal equity. For attorneys with 1 to 5 years of experience the range is $61,000 to $67,000. A full benefits package is included.
Asian Americans Advancing Justice–ALC is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified persons are encouraged to apply, regardless of race, color, creed, ethnicity, national origin, ancestry, age, height, weight, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, HIV status, marital or domestic partner status, or religious affiliation.
A full benefits package is included.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Application Process: Interested candidates should e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org: resume; cover letter summarizing interest, qualifications and experience; writing sample; and three references. Kindly put “Application – Staff Attorney NSCR Program” in the subject line of the e-mail. Please submit materials in PDF format. No phone calls, please.