District of Columbia
The Communications and Outreach Department is charged with promoting the mission of the association and expertise of the 15,000 plus member attorneys to media the public. The department staff works strategically to identify and prepare media spokespeople on key immigration issues of national interest. Staff also develops effective outreach and materials for various media markets, assist members in reaching out to local media, and provide members with substantive and rhetorical tools for use in public presentations to multiple audiences and constituencies.
The Digital Media Strategist plays a major role in making AILA a leader in the eyes of the membership and public. Manages development of AILA’s social media strategy, engages with online audiences through social media, and builds relationships with key influencers. The Digital Media Strategist will also manage internal efforts around social media, i.e., working with internal departments and AILA members to create products that fit within AILA’s communication’s strategy.
Essential Job Functions
- Planning (45%)
- Develop innovative and effective, on-going social media strategy across all platforms and channels (including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, LinkedIn, blogs, and more) and continually update that plan and related activity based on emerging trends and opportunities.
- Directly manage AILA’s day-to-day social media activities. This includes planning an editorial calendar and creating content to support that calendar.
- Work across departments to develop paid digital media advertising strategies
- Ensure integration of a social media content plan with overall AILA PR/Communications plan and marketing goals.
- Internal/External Communications (35%)
- Directly engage AILA members, coalition partners, and other stakeholders via social media platforms, fostering conversations and relationships. Work with Communications & Outreach team members and outside vendors.
- Play a leadership role in working with AILA departments across the entire association on their social media needs/projects. Develop and maintain relationships with key influencers. Keep updated/current lists of those influencers across multiple categories.
- Research (25%)
- Monitor, track, interpret and leverage all social media trends.
- Track and analyze paid digital advertising strategies
- Analyze and interpret results and actively “listen" to the social media community, regularly report on analytics.
Required Education and Training
4-year undergraduate degree in Communications or related field.
Minimum Job Requirements
2-5 years of progressive experience in a PR/Communications environment. Must have proven experience managing professional social media account(s) and a strong interest in technology and its use to increase outreach and online presence.
Knowledge / Skills / Abilities / Other requirements
- Thorough understanding of social media campaigns and ability to apply social media/new media solutions in a non-profit environment.
- Successful record of collaboration and planning / coordinating major projects.
- Capacity to work collaboratively across the organization to create and manage cross organizational, integrated marketing strategies.
- Strong work ethic, high energy, accurate, with great attention to detail and design.
- Solid computer skills in Microsoft Office Suite, Hootsuite, Photoshop, InDesign, WordPress.
- Outstanding writing, editing, proofreading skills.
- Excellent organization and time management skills to balance and prioritize multiple competing priorities.
- Database management proficiency.
- Ability to leverage advanced skills and knowledge.
- Ability to integrate successful social media ideas into the organization.
- Ability to develop and maintain relationships with key social media audiences, i.e., bloggers, influencers, online media.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and/or in writing.
- Ability to work both independently and as part of cross-functional teams.
- Ability to work under tight time constraints.
- Ability to work after-hours and/or weekends, as needed.
Physical / Mental / Environmental Requirements
Requires sitting at a desk for extended periods of time; walking and standing for extended periods of time throughout the workday; use of a PC work station for extended hours; lifting up to 20 pounds; and verbal communications with others. Occasional travel. Extended hours, including evening and weekends. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable otherwise qualified individuals - under the Americans with Disabilities Act - to perform the essential functions of the role as outlined above.
We offer a dynamic and collaborative work environment with a competitive compensation package based on your experience and qualifications. Our generous benefits include 100% of an employee’s Medical/Rx, Dental, and Vision premiums, as well as contributions towards dependents’ premiums; a 401(k) with up to 3% matching contribution upon enrollment, employer paid disability and life insurance, commuter subsidy, and on-site fitness room. In addition, we provide employees with flexible scheduling and telecommuting options and plenty of time away from the office to bolster creativity and recharge. Added perks: four-week paid parental leave and a four-week sabbatical every tenth year of service.
AILA received recognition as a 50 Best Places to Work by Washingtonian Magazine and one of the Principal 10 Best for Employee Financial Security. Our diverse membership is comprised of knowledgeable, compassionate, and dedicated professionals who constantly work to navigate the complex practice of immigration law.
Level of Language Proficiency
Bilingual (English and Spanish), a plus.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please include in your cover letter any information related to your interest in this position not reflected in your resume. Cover letters also function as writing samples. Applications without cover letter and salary requirement may not be considered.