Details: All candidates should have a flexible schedule and be able to commit to working at least 10-15 hours a week, including weekends. The base hourly wage is $13.00/hour.
The Police Foundation is national, non-profit, non-partisan organization that, consistent with its commitment to improve policing, has been on the cutting edge of police innovation for over 40 years. The Police Foundation’s work is informed by available evidence, to increase public safety and strengthen communities. The professional staff at the Police Foundation work closely with law enforcement, judges, prosecutors, defense attorneys, and victim advocates to develop research, comprehensive reports, policy briefs, model policies, and innovative programs that will continue to support the work of law enforcement (police & sheriffs) personnel. The Police Foundation conducts innovative research and provides on-the-ground technical assistance to police and sheriff’s departments, and engages practitioners from multiple systems (corrections, mental health, housing, etc.), and local, state and federal jurisdictions as it relates to police research, policy and practice.
The Police Foundation is seeking field researchers for a social science research project in Houston, Texas. We are seeking independent and outgoing individuals to participate in an upcoming research project that assess police-community relations in communities in Houston, Texas. Field research positions will be part-time. Those selected for this work will have direct interaction with Houston residents and will be working directly in neighborhoods to gather the necessary data for this study. Job responsibilities will include conducting initial site assessments and door-to-door resident surveys in Houston. These positions will offer practical research experience that will benefit students or professionals who are seeking employment in academia or the private research sector.
All candidates should have a flexible schedule and be able to commit to working at least 10-15 hours a week, including weekends. The candidate will report directly the Police Foundation Research Director for this project.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Commit to working 10-15 hours a week, including weekends;
- Carry out initial visits to assess potential project sites;
- Conduct door-to-door survey collection;
- Transport research teams to project sites;
- Assist with project coordination;
- Collect and maintain data while on site;
- Fill out instruments and forms accurately;
- Maintain a professional demeanor when on the job;
- Secure and safeguard all research equipment.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Familiarity with the Houston community;
- Willingness to conduct door-to-door data collection;
- Strong attention to detail;
- Efficient and organized working style;
- Ability to prioritize quickly and confidently, in addition to managing deadlines;
- Must be self-directed, as supervision for this project will be done remotely by the DC based research team;
- Strong oral communication skills, including the ability to effectively distill and present complex information in a concise way;
- General familiarity with Windows and Android operating system;
- Ability to complete training on data collection software and systems;
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including maturity, and the ability to work independently and in a team setting;
- Ability to participate in periodic project meetings;
- Bilingual abilities (Spanish) are strongly preferred.
PREFERRED EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
- Previous experience with field research and data collection.
- Bilingual abilities (Spanish).
- A valid driver’s license, own and can operate a fully insured and reliable motor vehicle for transporting on site research staff.
- High School diploma required.
- Undergraduate student status either as junior or senior good standing is required.
- Graduate students in a related field, such as criminology, sociology, social work, psychology, public policy or other social science field, are preferred.
Level of Language Proficiency
Bilingual abilities (Spanish) are strongly preferred.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Interested individuals should submit the following elements via email to email@example.com
Names and contact information for references (at least two)
*****Incomplete applications will not be considered*****