150 American Legion Highway
Teachers who thrive at Brooke are those committed to developing strong relationships with their students and challenging them daily to be their best selves, academically and personally. They tend to be passionate instructors and hungry learners who crave frequent, high-quality feedback on their practice. At Brooke, teachers are constantly going above and beyond to meet the diverse needs of their students and being the instructional and cultural leader of their warm and demanding classroom. Brooke is built for teachers who want to think deeply about instruction and collaborate daily with their grade-level peers and instructional leaders.
The ELA/Social Studies Teacher will hold primary responsibility for the development of curriculum, the instruction of content, and the growth and success of one classroom of students. This small total-student-load enables Brooke ELA/Social Studies teachers to build close authentic relationships with their class of students and with their students’ families.
Teachers’ hours are 7:15-4:20 daily, with the student academic day running from 7:45 am to 4:00 pm Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday, and 7:45 am to 12:30 pm on Wednesdays. In the summer of 2018, new teacher professional development will begin on July 18th, and the school year will begin in mid-August. There are openings across multiple Brooke schools in various grade levels.
A successful Brooke Middle School ELA & Social Studies Teacher will ensure that all students feel challenged and known.
- Teach one class of students approximately 170 minutes per day
- Provide small group and one-on-one targeted tutoring and support to students for approximately 60 minutes per day.
- Participate in regular interim data meetings with grade level team teachers and principal
- Engage in 20 administrative observations and 15 peer observations per year
- Actively participate in three (3) hours every week of targeted professional development
- Communicate effectively with students, families, and colleagues
- Provide consistent and high academic and behavioral expectations
Level of Language Proficiency
- Bachelor’s degree
- Shared dedication to Brooke’s mission and organizational values
- Commitment to ensuring academic success for all students
- Growth mindset and a desire to continually improve through frequent feedback, coaching, and professional development
- Content knowledge of, and enthusiasm for ELA and social studies
- Minimum of two years of teaching experience as a classroom teacher (excluding student teaching, practicum, or international teaching experience)
- Create a classroom climate where students are held to the highest expectations for interpersonal and academic work, and are actively engaged in constructing their understanding of the core content
- Use frequent data collection and analysis to drive awareness of student needs, provide feedback, and plan instruction
- Excellent teamwork, communication, and organization skills
- Relate authentically and professionally with students, parents, and colleagues
Minimum Education Required