40 West 20th Street
The Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC) is the nation's most effective environmental action organization. We use law, science and the support of 3.1 million members and online activists to protect the planet's wildlife and wild places and to ensure a safe and healthy environment for all living things. NRDC was founded in 1970 and our staff helped write some of America's bedrock environmental laws, including the Clean Water Act, and many of the implementing regulations; our water enforcement cases played a major role shaping current water policy throughout the country. Today, our staff of more than 500 lawyers, scientists, economists, policy and communications experts, and others, work out of offices in New York, Washington, Chicago, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Bozeman, Montana, and Beijing.
Our Donor Relations team is responsible for the stewardship of major gift donors and cultivating their gifts to support the growing programs at NRDC. Our team is seeking a Development Assistant for our New York office to support our daily activities and expansion. This position will report to the National Director of Donor Relations and Special Projects and will provide administrative support to all individuals on our Donor Relations team. The Development Assistant will support activities that range from coordinating annual stewardship mailings and gift acknowledgment letters; creating and distributing stewardship reports; completing database entry; managing logistics for donor and departmental meetings; assisting with the travel program and the Global Leadership Council (GLC); and providing general administrative support for the department, including assisting with the management of the department's budget.
- Assist the National Director of Donor Relations and Special Projects with administrative and logistical tasks such as travel plans, meetings, etc.
- Perform general database entry and organize donor information and documents
- Record meetings and distribute minutes to ensure that action items are kept on track
- Perform financial tasks such as preparing expense reports and processing invoices for the Donor Relations Team
- Proof-read reports, proposals, and other donor correspondence
- Coordinate and manage special mailings to donors including overseeing timelines, coordinating review and distributing materials
- Maintain calendars for donor correspondence and internal activities
- Assist team in planning stewardship events, such as donor trips or meetings
- Monitor the President’s Donor Relations mailbox for incoming and outgoing messages
- Provide administrative support to the Donor Relations team by filing, mailing, printing, copying, scanning and distributing documents
- Participate in department and organizational work teams and projects, as needed
- Other duties as assigned
- Requires a high school diploma/GED and 2-4 years of administrative experience OR college degree with 1-3 years of relevant experience
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite (including word processing, editing, graphics), excel and file sharing platforms
- A strong attention to detail, organizational and interpersonal skills
- Experience and comfort working with high profile individuals
- Nonprofit database experience, Salesforce preferred
- Self-directed, with the ability to manage competing priorities and workflow
- An “all hands-on deck” mentality/ ability to be a team player
- A strong commitment to our mission, and values
NRDC is committed to workplace diversity and inclusion. We are equal opportunity employers and do not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, gender identity and expression, marital status, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. We offer competitive salaries, excellent benefits, and a pleasant working environment. Salary is based on a nonprofit scale and commensurate with experience.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, for positions based in San Francisco, CA we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
To apply, please visit www.nrdc.org/careers and upload your resume, cover letter, and a recent writing sample through our online portal. Please no phone calls, emails, faxes or in-person resume drop-offs. Please reference where you saw this posting. NRDC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
If you are having technical difficulty while applying, please reach out to Customer Care by dialing
For further information about NRDC, please visit www.nrdc.org
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required