Details: Commensurate with experience
160 Federal Street
Massachusetts Housing Partnership
Position Available Late Summer 2018
The Massachusetts Housing Partnership is seeking an experienced attorney as its full-time general counsel.
About MHP: The Massachusetts Housing Partnership (MHP) is a mission-driven quasi-public agency established by state law in 1990 and a national leader in affordable housing. We provide long-term financing for affordable rental housing and home ownership, provide community technical assistance to encourage the development and preservation of affordable housing, and help shape state housing policy. MHP has financed more than 24,000 units of multifamily housing using bank credit lines, Federal Housing Administration mortgage insurance, and delegated underwriting from Fannie Mae. We have also supported more than 20,000 home purchases by low- and moderate-income homebuyers through the SoftSecond and ONE Mortgage programs offered by 45 participating banks and credit unions. To date MHP and its loan programs have been supported by $4.9 billion in long-term, below-market financing from banks doing business in Massachusetts.
Responsibilities: MHP’s general counsel reports to the executive director and provides legal advice to MHP’s board of directors, management team and staff. He or she is responsible for guiding MHP’s legal affairs, ensuring legal compliance and limiting risk exposure in a variety of internal and external matters. Specific duties include:
- Drafting, reviewing or negotiating loan commitments, contracts, boilerplates, loan documents and other legal documents for MHP programs and troubleshooting loan closings for projects receiving MHP assistance
- Supervising a staff attorney, paralegal and executive assistant
- Participating as a member of MHP’s executive team, including involvement in strategic planning and goal-setting for the agency
- Critically evaluating proposed MHP loans and proposed project eligibility approvals for comprehensive permits as part of the agency’s internal project review team
- Drafting, reviewing and/or negotiating agreements with MHP’s sources of capital and credit enhancement (including loan participations and risk-sharing agreements) and other outside contracts and ensuring MHP’s legal compliance with such agreements
- Overseeing closing attorneys and managing external law firms representing MHP on other business matters and litigation
- Managing MHP’s legal budget and closing attorney costs paid by MHP borrowers
- Overseeing implementation of MHP’s bank financing statute (M.G.L. c.167A §4), including documentation of new funding bank relationships and compliance with bank loan agreements
- Enforcing MHP’s rights under its loan documents and pursuing legal remedies consistent with MHP’s mission and business objectives
- Drafting or reviewing regulations, guidelines and legislation relative to MHP programs and housing policy initiatives and advocacy
- Coordinating the MassDocs loan closing and documentation system among participating state agencies and municipalities and supporting other initiatives to improve the affordable housing delivery system
- Responsibility for MHP’s compliance with all applicable laws and regulations including the agency’s authorizing statute, the state conflict of interest and public records laws, the state comprehensive permit law (M.G.L. c.40B), and filings with the Massachusetts Secretary of State
Qualifications: Applicants must have a juris doctor degree, be licensed to practice law in Massachusetts, and have at least eight to ten years of directly relevant legal experience and a minimum of three years supervisory experience. Expertise in affordable housing, lending or real estate law is preferred with experience in at least one of those areas required.
MHP provides a comprehensive benefits package including health, life, dental, and disability insurance, flexible spending accounts, a public transportation benefit, educational assistance, paid time off and family leave, and a fully vested employer-matched retirement plan.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To apply send a cover letter describing your interest in the position and your relevant experience along with your resume (no calls, please) to firstname.lastname@example.org
MHP is an equal opportunity employer