Join an organization at the forefront of health advocacy around the nation
Community Catalyst is a national non-profit advocacy organization working to build consumer and community leadership to transform the American health system. Our first priority is quality, affordable health care for all and to ensure that all individuals and communities sustain the power to influence local, state and national decisions that affect their health. Since 1998, we have provided leadership and support to consumer organizations, policymakers and foundations working to ensure the health care system serves everyone – especially historically marginalized communities. Community Catalyst strengthens organized consumer voices in communities, at statehouses and on Capitol Hill when advocates fight for changes that improve our health.
As an organization, we believe an inclusive and open environment fosters creativity, contributes to the quality of our work, and provides growth opportunities for our employees. Additional information is available at www.communitycatalyst.org.
The position is within Community Catalyst’s Center for Consumer Engagement in Health Innovation. The mission of the Center is to promote the engagement of consumers with complex health and social needs in health care payment and delivery system transformation. Our consulting services are one of the many ways that we realize this mission. Additional information is available at www.healthinnovation.org.
The Consumer and Community Engagement Advisor builds collaborative relationships with clients including health plans and providers, hospitals, state agencies and others serving vulnerable populations (e.g. frail older adults, people with disabilities, children with special health care needs). In particular, this dynamic person will assist clients in developing and implementing effective systems of community engagement in health care. The advisor will provide skill-building training and strategic guidance to support client efforts aimed at engaging consumers in order to improve health care services and the overall health of vulnerable populations.
The Consumer Engagement Advisor will report to the Deputy Director, Center for Consumer Engagement in Health Innovation.
· Offer timely, efficient, customized consulting services to clients designed to support the active participation of consumers and communities in efforts to improve health care services and overall health.
· Play a role in the development, refinement and implementation of new Center products to enhance its consulting services and training curricula.
· Assist in establishing a national community of practice promoting consumer-centric practices to inform and transform the delivery of care.
- Assist in securing new clients for consumer and community engagement services.
- Actively participate as a member of the Community Catalyst and Center teams.
- Other responsibilities as assigned to achieve the goals of the Center.
Competencies and Qualifications:
- Demonstrated interest and commitment to improving the lives of vulnerable populations and the mission of Community Catalyst and Center
- Direct experience with/knowledge of health policy and/or health care systems
- Experience in meeting design and facilitation in professional or community settings
- Demonstrated ability to create and deliver effective training that incorporates adult learning, popular education or health literacy techniques
· Exceptional organizational skills, including the ability to manage several projects simultaneously, respond to tight timelines and operate effectively in a fast-paced, detail-rich environment
· Ability to work independently and as a collaborative member of a team
· Excellent oral and written communication skills with a demonstrated awareness of the individual needs of clients and communities
· Professional presence and ability to build rapport with leaders from health plans, hospitals/health systems, state agencies, and community organizations
· Knowledge of, and ability to accommodate the social, cultural and linguistic needs of people from diverse backgrounds and a commitment to racial justice
· Highly motivated, collaborative, entrepreneurial, creative and dependable
- Bilingual/bicultural background highly desirable
· Ability to travel within the U.S.
· Bachelor’s degree plus 4 years relevant work experience; or Master’s degree plus 2 years relevant work experience; or the equivalent work experience in a community-based organization, public health or health care setting
Community Catalyst is based in Boston, MA with additional offices in Pittsburgh, PA; Atlanta, GA; Washington DC; St. Louis, MO; Lansing, MI; and New York City.
- Competitive salary
- Generous paid time off policy
- Robust benefits package
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Applicants should submit a resume with a one-page cover letter briefly summarizing their interest in and qualifications for the position to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please put “Consumer and Community Engagement Advisor” in the subject line.
Community Catalyst is strongly committed to building a work environment that recognizes, respects, and encourages the unique contributions of a broad spectrum of qualified employees. We strive to make employment decisions that support inclusion to maintain a work atmosphere that is diverse, equitable and promotes family-friendly practices and work-life benefits so that people of diverse backgrounds and lifestyles may grow personally and professionally.
We do not discriminate in hiring based on age, color, ethnicity, race, national origin, primary language, religion, socio-economic status, family status, mental and physical disabilities, veteran status, gender identity characteristics and/or expression, sex, medical condition, sexual orientation or any other classification that is protected by federal, state, or local law.
Through all of our programs, Community Catalyst works to build a better future for all individuals by advancing health equity, focusing on people of color, immigrants, as well as disability, gender, sexual identity and socio-economic status. It is important for our staff to reflect the diverse communities with which we work. People of color, LGBTQ identified people, gender-nonconforming people, individuals with disabilities, veterans, and people who speak a language in addition to English are encouraged to apply.