Non-Bargaining SalaryRequisition Number:
Washington | DC | 20036 | USADescription
SEIU (Service Employees International Union)JOB TITLE:
Assistant Director of Communications, Health Care Division GRADE:
MGT F; Salary starts at $122,858LOCATION:
All USA ORGANIZATIONAL OVERVIEW:
The 2 million members united in the Service Employees International Union (SEIU) are at the forefront of a movement to build power for working people and empower all workers to form unions, no matter what job they do. SEIU members are from every walk of life, political party, background, and faith. They come from communities with their own stories and strengths, which makes the Union all the more powerful because there's strength in numbers. SEIU members work across the healthcare spectrum providing high-quality care and services. They are the workers who keep our nation's airports running and make sure landmark buildings are clean and secure. They provide essential public services and give a foundation of learning to our youngest and brightest. SEIU members believe in and are fighting for a Just Society where all workers are valued and all people respected—no matter where we come from or what color we are; where all families and communities can thrive; and where we leave a better and more equitable world for generations to come. PURPOSE:
SEIU Healthcare is the largest union of healthcare workers in the United States. Its one million members work in all parts of the healthcare delivery system - caring for seniors and people with disabilities in their own homes, nurses and doctors, and support staff inside hospitals and nursing homes.
The Assistant Director directs and provides overall leadership to all SEIU division communications and media work to support priorities for growth, involve members and the public in achieving those growth goals, and brand SEIU as the most powerful worker-led organization in the healthcare industry.PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES:
Any one position may not include all of the specific duties and responsibilities listed. Examples provide a general summary of the work required and should not be treated as a total and complete list of expected duties to be performed by employees in the classification.)
- Position SEIU's brand as the largest and most powerful union of healthcare workers in the US
- Create an overarching message about healthcare workers post-pandemic; benefits to the union in healthcare systems, and more
- Manage the tools and channels SEIU uses to communicate with healthcare workers, including apps and social media properties
- Directs strategy and implementation of all division communication, including organizing/political/legislative and advocacy campaigns
- Directs the creation of all division communications content
- Leads message development and oversees the work of pollsters
- Serves as subject area expert for the division and its campaigns
- Directs all communications with members of the division
- Directs all communications with potential members of the division
Owned Media/Internal Communications:
- Understands trends in media coverage and looks for opportunities to lift up member voices and organizing campaigns
- Develops overarching message about healthcare workers post-pandemic, benefits of the union in the healthcare system, and more.
- Directs external media relations strategy and implementation
- Directs internal communications strategy, message, and materials across the division and SEIU.
- Directs message development for division leadership, SEIU officers, and local leaders.
- Directs leadership spokesperson training.
- Directs speech writing and other visibility work for leadership.
- Serves as key communications contact for division leadership, local leaders, and local staff.
- Directs and serves as key contact for communications with allies and partners.
- Chief person responsible for campaign event communications – strategy, message, look and feel, materials, marketing, media outreach, event flow and agenda.
- Directly supervises staff on division communications team, including those in field campaigns.
- Ensure high-quality standards and best practices in all division, campaign, and member communications.
Management and Administration:
- Works with SEIU local unions to develop strong relationships with local communicators; helps build a network of locals tied to each other and the International.
- Works with division to identify locals that need to increase communications capacity to carry out division priorities.
- Works with Deputy Director to:
- Develop plans for local union communications staff development.
- Provide training for local communicators.
- Recruit local staff, and assist locals with evaluating and hiring candidates.
- Oversees work of communicators within locals in the division to ensure high-quality standards, best practices, and consistency of message
- Coordinates with the Executive Office and divisions, departments, and field on strategies, budgets, resource allocation, staffing, and other issues.
- Helps manage the Communications Department, including planning, budgeting, and project management, and coordinates with divisions, departments, and field on those issues.
- Directs vendor management for division communications work
- Prepares and monitors division communications budget, including budgets for division campaigns.
- Directs recruiting, reviewing, and recommending hiring for all division communications staff.
- Directly responsible for retention of division communications staff, including training, feedback, reviews, skill and career development.
Must be able to represent the International Union with local leaders, members, staff, and outside organizations utilizing independent judgment and the highest level of professionalism. Contacts include SEIU officers, division leadership, senior staff, project and program managers, field and organizing directors, local union officers, and staff. External: news media, politicians, government officials, partners, allies; consultants, pollsters, freelancers, video and multi-media producers, advertising agencies.DIRECTION AND DECISION MAKING:
Reports to the Deputy Director of Communications for Division and Local Communications and works with extreme independence. Must demonstrate the ability to manage own work and others without supervision. Requires a high level of judgment and ability to take initiative Must maintain confidentiality in handling SEIU affairs.EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Bachelor's Degree in communications-related field preferred. Five-to-seven years of experience in communications or related work, including at least five years managing strategy, planning, and program development, or a combination of education and experience that would provide for the following knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Experience developing and implementing strategy on a wide range of campaigns, including organizing, contract, political, and legislative, as well as experience working with community allies.
- Thorough and extensive knowledge of media relations strategies.
- Thorough knowledge of electronic and print media systems. Knowledge of advertising techniques and familiarity with all aspects of literature, audiovisual, and online production process required.
- Excellent writing, verbal, and analytical skills.
- Demonstrated capacity to continuously develop knowledge and skills related to use of rapidly changing technology
- Knowledge of unions or other advocacy organizations .
- Skill in the use of personal computer including Microsoft Office Suite.
Work is generally performed in an office setting, but the job may require work in the field or in other settings to perform the tasks required to complete assignments. Must be available for frequent travel with overnight stays. Long and irregular hours.VACCINATION REQUIREMENT:
Candidates will be required to show proof of being fully vaccinated against COVID-19 upon commencing employment. Reasonable accommodations will be considered on a case-by-case basis for either a) a certain medical condition(s); or b) on the basis of sincerely held strong religious beliefs and practices; c) as otherwise required by law.
<img src="https://www.click2apply.net/v/QlK7PYuJVVwRbCymoI87pJ" />