Full Time Temporary
931 North Highland Avenue
Get Coding Program
Reports to School Site Instructional Coach
9 Dots is a community of educators, researchers, and engineers committed to bringing computer science (CS) to all students - particularly those from underserved communities. We believe in creating learning environments that engage every student, foster joy, and promote fearlessness and rigor in problem solving. We aim to empower students by transforming the way they voice their ideas, understand their world, and imagine their future.
We started the Get Coding program to helps schools teach computer science. Our goal is to make it easy for schools to offer computer science courses from kindergarten through high school. In K-5, we pair curriculum and software, developed in-house, with instructional support to ensure that students have exceptional CS learning experiences.
This is your time to give back to the communities that need you most.
This fellowship is a full-time opportunity for outstanding recent college graduates, graduate students, and professionals - of all academic majors and career backgrounds - who commit one year to support CS education in Los Angeles-area public schools. Our fellowship offers the coding and instructional training to thrive in a CS classroom. During the fellowship, fellows learn CS fundamentals and advanced instructional techniques in order to support site teachers at our partner schools. Fellows become lifelong leaders in the effort to expand exceptional CS education to all students.
In the 2018-19 school year, fellows will support 5250 students in 175 classrooms across Los Angeles.
We are passionate about CS education and so are our fellows. Our fellows see CS as an essential new literacy that should be taught in all schools. Our fellows believe in developing their teaching practice in the classroom as a part of tackling the systemic challenges that undermine equity in CS education. Ideal candidates will have classroom or informal teaching experience, will be excited about implementing CS in K-5 classrooms, and will recognize teaching as an art that requires continuous deliberate reflection and refinement.
Fellows work closely with our in-house instructional team to hone their teaching skills and with our in-house curriculum team to develop dynamic coding lessons that inspire students. Our fellows highly value community, and build relationships with each of the schools they support, including principals, teachers and students. Beginning in August, fellows support site school teachers in CS classrooms. Throughout the school year, they provide over 30 weeks of CS content expertise to teachers and guide differentiated learning experiences for small groups of students. As the champions of building coding culture at each of our schools, fellows organize and support community events around CS at the end of each semester.
- 70% on-site teacher support
- 30% professional development and computer science fundamentals training
On-site Teacher Support Responsibilities
- Uphold Get Coding mission and values
- Work with other fellows and school site teachers to deliver small group lessons for learners at all levels
- Develop and maintain relationships with partner school administration and school site teachers through weekly updates
- Build coding culture at partner schools by organizing community events and cultivating teacher leaders
- Coordinate and support coding instruction at partner schools 4 days a week
- Develop dynamic coding lessons with 9 Dots curriculum team
- Implement feedback from Instructional Coach to improve lesson plans and/or instruction
- Develop instructional calendar with partner schools for the 2018-19 school year
- Review weekly lessons and prepare all materials for school distribution
- Gather, synthesize, and communicate student performance data
- Serve as point-person for site teachers at partner schools
Professional Development and Computer Science Fundamentals Training Responsibilities
- Design tailored professional development goals and commit to achieving them
- Receive formal instructional coaching from our master teachers through classroom observations, professional development sessions, and one-on-one feedback
- Explore software development and web technologies
- Learn to think like a software engineer
- Design, code and debug applications in various software languages
- Build applications given specific requirements
- Belief in 9 Dots’ mission to make transformative CS education accessible to all students
- Commitment to social justice through education
- Desire to learn new skills and professional competencies
- Fearless problem solver ready to take on challenges as they arise
- Outstanding interpersonal and relationship building skills
- Strong organizational skills with a keen attention to detail
- Ability to self-manage and work independently
- A proactive communicator
- Driver’s License and reliable transportation
- Experience working with students
- Experience with web-based coding educational tools, such as code.org, Scratch, etc.
- Background in Computer Science, Education, or Cultural Studies
- July 1st, 2018
- Los Angeles, CA
- Full health care, dental and vision insurance
- Life and disability insurance
- 15 days PTO + 9 Dots Holidays
- Professional Development reimbursement
- Retirement Investment Plans (401k)
- Experience within a nimble and rapidly-growing organization
- Open and collaborative environment
- Complimentary snacks
- Dog-friendly work space @ 9 Dots headquarters
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please apply on the link we provided.