900 N. Marshall Street
Young Scholars Charter School (YSCS) is seeking a passionate and hardworking 6th Grade Science/STEAM teacher to join the YSCS family for the 2018-19 school year.
About Young Scholars Charter School
Young Scholars Charter School (YSCS) is a free, lottery-based, open-enrollment charter school serving students from across Philadelphia in grades 6-8. The mission of Young Scholars is to provide a personalized middle school education that challenges, engages and prepares all students to passionately pursue their dreams and lead a life of active citizenship.
- Plan and provide excellent instruction, making every minute count in your classroom;
- Develop detailed lesson plans, materials, homework assignments, and assessments based on state standards and school-wide goals for student achievement
- Provide differentiated learning opportunities to support each student’s academic growth;
- Set and reinforce clear expectations for student engagement;
- Continuously improve based on feedback and coaching from school leaders;
- Collaborate with other teachers to increase student engagement and achievement;
- Reward positive student engagement and hold students accountable using school-wide systems;
- Engage with family members regularly and participate in school-wide family engagement activities including phone calls to family members and school-based meetings with families;
- Provide additional academic support to students after school for at least one hour per week.
Qualifications and Skills
- Outstanding instructional skills and data-driven approach to instructional planning;
- Mastery and enthusiasm for content/subject area;
- The ability to motivate students and cultivate a culture of achievement;
- A belief that ALL students should be held to high academic standards;
- Resilience and professionalism;
- Commitment to school transformation and continuous improvement;
- Open to feedback and coaching;
- Strong sense of personal accountability for student achievement;
- Collaborative approach to problem solving.
Educational Background and Work Experience
- Experience driving student achievement results;
- Bachelor’s degree in Education or a related field;
- Must hold or be actively working to obtain PA teacher certification.
- Competitive salary and benefits package;
- 2 hours of prep periods a day;
- Professional collaboration with grade and content teams;
- Weekly coaching and ongoing professional development;
- 1:1 Chromebooks in every classroom;
- Google Education platform for online assignment management;
- The opportunity to maximize your impact in schools where we are raising the bar for student achievement.
Minimum Education Required