District of Columbia
Who We Are
ideas42 has a clear mission: to use our unique experience as a nonprofit at the forefront of behavioral science to change millions of lives. We create innovative solutions to tough problems in economic mobility, health, education, safety and justice, consumer finance, energy efficiency and international development. Our approach is based on a deep understanding of human behavior and why people make the decisions they do. Working closely with our partners from government, foundations, NGOs and companies, we have more than 80 active projects in the United States and around the world. Example projects include:
- Working with service and technical assistance providers to improve the quality of family planning and reproductive health services in Sub-Saharan Africa and South Asia
- Partnering with public universities to design and test behavioral strategies for increasing student retention and degree completion rates, such as an innovative mechanism for disbursing financial aid refunds at community colleges
- Partnering with financial service providers throughout Latin America to help people follow through on their intentions to save, building financial resilience among vulnerable populations.
- Partnering at the federal, state, and local levels, ideas42 is helping governments apply behavioral science to programs to improve how they serve constituents. Projects range from increasing flu vaccine uptake to increasing SNAP recertification rates. ideas42 helped found and operate the White House's Social & Behavioral Sciences Team (SBST).
All team members play an active role on multiple engagements at once. Diagnosing behavioral problems and designing behaviorally informed interventions and products is integral to what we do. Given the startup nature of the organization, this is a rare opportunity for someone to experience and build the world’s premier behavioral ideas lab and consulting firm. All positions provide a pathway to more senior roles within ideas42 and are excellent preparation for a wide range of roles in both the private and public sectors. This role will be focused primarily on global health projects.
- Managing field projects, including intervention design, implementation, monitoring, and impact evaluation; serving as the day-to-day contact for partners and clients;
- Developing full-scale project plans, structure and timelines;
- Assisting/leading primary and secondary research such as surveys, interviews, and literature reviews
- Contributing to grant proposals, policy papers, and other external communications
- Supervising and mentoring more junior staff
- Participating in internal strategic projects, including various aspects of organizational improvement
Who Are We Looking For?
Much of our work hinges on our ability to ask the right questions. As a result, we seek inquisitive, resourceful, analytical individuals with an entrepreneurial spirit. A passion for understanding human behavior, pursuing innovation, and promoting the social good is critical, but prior expertise or training in behavioral economics or psychology is not required.
Required qualifications include:
- Master’s in Public Health or equivalent plus 5-10 years OR Bachelor’s with 7+ years of relevant work experience
- At least 2 years of experience working on large-scale government funded projects, with a preference for experience on USAID-funded global health initiatives
- At least 2 years of experience living and/or working in low and middle income countries
- French language at a business proficiency level or higher
- Available and willing to travel on a flexible schedule as needed (up to 50%)
- Culturally aware; experience and exposure personally and professionally to diverse cultures
- Mission-aligned, self-starter, and able to thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment
- Strong analytical skills and working knowledge of statistics
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with a commitment to high-quality output
- Record of academic excellence
- Smart, logical and structured thinkers, who are also creative
Preferred qualifications include:
- Experience designing social and behavior change interventions in low and middle income countries
- Topical expertise in maternal, neo-natal, child health; family planning and reproductive health; non-communicable diseases; HIV/AIDS; malaria; tuberculosis; and/ or emergency pandemics
- A background in strategy, marketing, or product management & client-facing experience is a plus
Generous dental, vision, health and life insurance policies.
Retirement savings plan.
Qualifies for loan forgiveness based on 501(c)3 status
Level of Language Proficiency
French - business proficiency or higher
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please only apply via the online application. Email submissions will not be considered.