2701 North Broad Street (at Lehigh Avenue)
Are you looking for an opportunity to use your interpersonal and detail-oriented skills to help low-income adults in Philadelphia access education and employment? Do you want to join an outcomes-driven organization with a long track record of success and mission-motivated staff?
Community Learning Center (CLC) is looking for a part-time (15 hours per week) Outreach Assistant who will report to CLC’s Outreach Coordinator and will assist with CLC’s management of its tutoring program, which relies on volunteer tutors. The majority of the Outreach Assistant’s time will be dedicated to volunteer communication and management. This position may increase hours and even become full-time in the future.
Founded in 1987, CLC is a nonprofit adult literacy and employment organization based in North and West Philadelphia and is one of the top-performing adult education providers in the region. CLC strives to make Philadelphia a city where all adults have the education and employment they need to support themselves and their families. CLC provides free classes, tutoring, career coaching, and support services that enable low-income adults to earn their high school equivalency diploma by passing the GED or HiSET exam, learn English, and gain employment.
· Serves as the primary point of contact for a group of volunteer tutors
· Introduces volunteer tutors to their adult learners and facilitates their professional relationships
· Provides resources, advice, and encouragement for volunteer tutors
· Fills in for volunteer tutors when they are absent to teach math, reading, and other academic and basic employability skills
· Provides feedback to volunteer tutors based on learner performance
· Contacts students when they are absent and works with Career Coaches on staff to help learners connect with resources when they experience issues in their life that impede attendance and progress
· Maintains tutored students and volunteer files and enters data into the Department of Education database
· Provides Outreach Coordinator with updates and data reports when requested
· Assists Outreach Coordinator with recruitment of students and volunteers (This responsibility will significantly increase should the position increase in hours.)
· Participates in staff meeting held throughout the year
- Bachelor’s degree in education, human resources, management, or other related field.
- Experience and/or training in teaching, coaching, advising, or counseling adults, especially those from low-income communities
- Friendly, positive attitude
- Ability to work well with diverse population
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task
- Initiative and ability and desire to work autonomously
- Excellent organizational and computer navigation skills
- Experience entering data in databases
- Extremely detail-oriented
- Volunteer experience and experience managing volunteers a plus.
- Experience in workforce development and/or education a plus
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
Competitive salary and benefits package offered.
No phone calls please.
Part-time employees are not eligible for health insurance benefits but are eligible for other benefits.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please send a resume and tailored cover letter via email to email@example.com. Please state why you want the position and describe your qualifications.
Mr. Stephen Brown
Community Learning Center
2701 North Broad Street
Philadelphia, PA 19132