The Humanitarian Aid Relief Trust’s (HART) mandate is to undertake advocacy and provide aid to those who are, or who have recently been, suffering oppression and persecution in various countries across the world. Priority is given to those whose are neglected by major aid organisations, and who are often out of the sight of the worldwide media.
HART has been in operation for fourteen years and has established a wide support base involving Churches, schools, universities, individuals, governmental bodies and trusts in the UK and abroad.
The aid programme includes projects in Burma, East Timor, Nagorno-Karabakh, northern Nigeria, Sudan, South Sudan, Syria, and Uganda. The Trust’s immediate priority is to focus help in areas where people are often unable to access basic necessities and are at risk of dying unreached, unhelped, unheard. In the medium term HART’s policy is to encourage more widespread support to enable projects to become self-sustaining.
With an annual income of £700k, HART is still a relatively small charity. However, although small, the same demands pertain as for larger organisations to ensure the charity’s operations are effectively managed, are efficient, and ensure that the best use is made of the organisation’s financial and human resources. The COO will work closely with the CEO, Board, and other senior management with delivering the mission, vision and values of HART. It is anticipated that, broadly speaking, the CEO will be outward facing and the COO inward facing, but the COO will need to have the flexibility to be the face of HART when appropriate.
The role is multi-faceted in its need to encompass the overall financial and operational management of the Trust and very much hands-on due to the limited resources of the organisation.
· Qualified accountant (ACA / ACCA / CIMA / CIPFA) with strong financial management experience
· Strong knowledge of SORP, Charity and Company Law
· Experience of producing monthly/annual accounts/reports, commentaries, analyses and reconciliations
· Good all-round technical accounting knowledge, awareness and skills, with a willingness to keep technically up-to-date and to acquire new technical skills relevant to the post and sector (e.g. charity matters)
· Knowledge of the responsibilities and duties of the Company Secretary role
· Experience of working with financial software packages, ideally Quickbooks
· Experience of working with CRM systems or fundraising databases, ideally Salesforce
· Comfortable and confident managing and working closely with internal staff and stakeholders at all levels from trustees, directors and managers to non-finance advocacy, communications, admin and support staff, as well as with external advisers, regulators, customers and suppliers
· Confident and experienced in effectively managing and developing people
· Proactive and willing to make suggestions and show initiative where action required.
· Excellent analytical skills; willingness to take responsibility for spotting and resolving problems in own work area and for suggesting and implementing improvements to working practices
· Good planning and organisational abilities to ensure work is completed to timetable/deadlines
· Good team working skills, including flexibility, adaptability and willingness to help and inspire others
· Have the right to live and work in the UK.
· Be supportive of HART’s ethos and values.
· Experience of working in a similar type and size organisation
· Experience of running a business
1. SALARY RANGE
£40,000 - £45,000 per annum
2. PENSION SCHEME
HART offers a participatory pension scheme with the National Employment Savings Trust (NEST), subject to eligibility and successful completion of your probationary period.
3. ANNUAL HOLIDAY
You will be eligible to 25 days’ paid holiday in each calendar year (1st January – 31st December) together with the usual public holidays in England and Wales.
4. PROBATIONARY PERIOD
Your appointment will be reviewed towards the end of three (3) months to ensure your suitability for the role.
During the probationary period, the notice period is one (1) week either side and after the probationary period, the notice period will be three (3) months on either side.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
The Chief Operating Officer position is newly created within HART. If you want to broaden your experience , through shared responsibility for leading and managing the HART organization, then this is the opportunity for you.
For more information about this role, and for an application pack, please visit our website at www.hart-uk.org/about-you/jobs.
Please send your completed application form to email@example.com not later than Friday 14th September 2018, Noon.
Date closing: 14th September, 2018 (12 noon)
Interview date: During the week commencing 17th September 2018
Anticipated start date: ASAP