Details: Competitive and depends on experience.
The Immigrant Justice Corps (IJC) seeks a supervising attorney to join our legal team. IJC is the country's first fellowship program dedicated to meeting the need for high-quality legal assistance for immigrants seeking citizenship, other affirmative applications, and fighting deportation. Inspired by Chief Judge Robert Katzmann of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit, IJC brings together the country's most talented advocates, connects them to New York City's best legal and community institutions, leverages the latest technologies, and fosters a culture of creative thinking that will produce new strategies to reduce the justice gap for immigrant families, ensuring that immigration status is no longer a barrier to social and economic opportunity.
The supervising attorney will work closely with IJC’s Managing Attorney and supervising attorneys to supervise IJC’s Community Fellows. Each year, IJC awards two-year Community Fellowships to 10 exceptional college graduates with the linguistic skills, passion, and cultural competency to work with diverse immigrant communities. IJC’s Community Fellowship Program is currently comprised of twenty talented Fellows. All the Community Fellows are Department of Justice (DOJ) partially accredited representatives who conduct outreach, screening, and provide counseling and direct representation under the supervision of IJC staff. Most of the Fellows are in-placed at IJC and hosted at community based organizations, and at the Brooklyn, New York and Queens public libraries. The Fellows handle, as a cohort, approximately 3,000 cases annually.
- Provide on-site supervision and mentorship to DOJ accredited Community Fellows at placements with host organizations throughout New York City;
- Review and provide feedback on applications prepared by Community Fellows. These affirmative applications will include, but will not be limited to, adjustment of status, citizenship and naturalization and DACA;
- Provide direct representation on various applications for immigration benefits;
- Liaise with host organization personnel;
- Assist with on-going training of Community Fellows;
- Analyze data and measure outcomes produced by Community Fellows;
- Help recruit and train new classes of fellows;
- Represent IJC at community events and legal conferences;
- Assist in preparing reports to funders and
- Fulfill other duties as assigned.
•Be admitted to the New York bar;
•Have a minimum of three years of experience practicing immigration law as an attorney;
•Have an interest in and commitment to the mission of IJC and expanding high quality access to counsel for immigrants;
•Have excellent writing, analytical and organizational skills
•Have an interest in supervising and mentoring recent college graduates;
•Be able to travel throughout the five boroughs of New York City and surrounding counties;
•Have flexibility to work weekend and evening hours;
•Be comfortable working with different client populations and in varied work environments;
•Fluency or advanced proficiency in one or more foreign languages (with a strong preference for Spanish) is required.
Excellent benefits package including dental and vision.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please email a detailed cover letter explaining why this job would be a great fit for you, a resume, and three (3) references to email@example.com with “Supervising Attorney-HQ” included in the subject line. Those selected for interview will be required to submit a writing sample. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled.