Kaufman Music Center is a vibrant and multi-faceted cultural organization in New York City. Founded in 1952 as a community music school, today's Kaufman Music Center is home to: Merkin Hall featuring acclaimed artists in thought-provoking presentations; Lucy Moses School Manhattan's largest community arts school - all ages and skill levels are welcome; Special Music School, a unique K-12 NYC public school that incorporates music into its core curriculum; and programs including Face the Music our critically-acclaimed youth new music ensemble, Theater@Kaufman bringing the joy of musical theater to students and audiences; and Luna Composition Lab, providing mentorship to female, non-binary, and gender non-conforming teens. Combined, these elements provide joy, engagement, and connection for thousands of people each year. Even in the midst of the COVID-19 crisis, Kaufman Music Center continues to thrive. Programs for close to 3,000 students never stopped, and the Center recently wrapped the internationally recognized Musical Storefronts series which brought 107 safe concerts to 31,200 audience members.
The Center seeks a full time Music Program Coordinator for the Special Music School High School (SMSHS). This position reports to the SMS High School Dean of Music. Primary responsibilities include:
● Producing all rehearsals, student performances and juries, including permits, set up, scheduling, and tracking
● Assisting in all aspects of the admissions process
● Helping with instrument maintenance and care
● Maintaining the calendar and schedule for the entire high school: providing calendar/event information to KMC staff and faculty, students, families, the DOE, and the SMS PTA
● Scheduling of teaching and rehearsal spaces for the high school
● Coordinating high school assessments, juries, concerts, performances, and recruiting events.
● Organizing paperwork associated with the music program such as performance request forms, jury forms, concert programs, grade collection, assessments, etc.
● Serving as the initial contact with SMSHS families, faculty, and outside parties regarding school events, schedules, and requirements
● Facilitating communication among various constituents, including faculty, guest artists and Artists In Residence
● Assisting with payroll processing for high school faculty
● Maintaining student files
● Tracking and monitoring student attendance in music classes, ensembles and private lessons
● Assisting in the purchasing of supplies and instruments
● Supporting the SMS Director and Dean as needed.
Qualifications for the position: The ideal candidate is organized, methodical and able to work in a fast-paced environment. Must have ability to work under pressure, multi-task, have outstanding telephone etiquette, and interpersonal skills. Classical music background required and experience in an arts/education environment preferred. Strong communication skills, both verbal and written, are very important. Computer skills: Microsoft Office, particularly Excel, Word and G Suite
Compensation: Salary and benefits will be commensurate with experience.
Hours: Full time, Monday - Friday.
Kaufman Music Center is a vibrant and multi-faceted cultural organization in New York City. Founded in 1952 as a community music school, today's Kaufman Music Center is home to: Merkin Hall featuring acclaimed artists in thought-provoking…
Full time employees are eligible to participate in Kaufman Music Center’s benefit programs, which include paid time off, health insurance, life insurance, long term disability insurance, tax deferred annuity plan, flexible spending plan and other benefits. If elected, health insurance coverage will begin 30 days after the date of hire. There will be an employee contribution towards the monthly premium for health insurance. Full time employees are eligible for 15 days of vacation after the first full year of employment earned in accordance with the Center’s vacation accrual policy. Other PTO includes sick days, personal days, and holidays as per the Kaufman Music Center’s policies.
Full time employees are eligible to participate in Kaufman Music Center’s benefit programs, which include paid time off, health insurance, life insurance, long term disability…
English and Spanish
English and Spanish
To apply: Please email résumé and letter of interest with salary requirements to email@example.com. Subject line should read: High School Music Program Coordinator. No phone calls, please.
Kaufman Music Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
To apply: Please email résumé and letter of interest with salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org. Subject line should read: High School Music Program Coordinator. No…