Details: This is a 12-month contract for a full-time, salaried position. Salary is commensurate with experience.
419 Lafayette Street
Project for Public Spaces (PPS) is seeking a creative, thoughtful, and enthusiastic candidate to join the organization as Project Associate. The Project Associate will work closely on two of PPS’s current efforts—the Bass Center for Place & Economy and the Healthy Places Program. This position offers a unique opportunity for public space researchers and advocates to gain hands-on placemaking experience, and to better understand policies and practices related to economic development, health, and the built environment. This full-time position is based out of our NYC office, though it may require domestic and occasional international travel.
- Conduct research and analysis for the Bass Center for Place & Innovation and the PPS Healthy Places Program
- Generate a bank of placemaking resources including tools, best practices, shared indicators and metrics
- Help pilot trainings and projects that pay particular attention to the intersection of place, health, and economic development at every level of decision-making and intervention
- Provide administrative support as needed, in addition to data analysis, report writing, and other tasks as determined by supervisor
Required Qualifications & Skills
- Graduate degree in planning or related field (undergraduate degree combined with at least 3 years of comparable work experience may be considered)
- Strong analytical, research and organizational skills
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience connecting equitable urban planning,economic development, placemaking, and public health issues
- Superior time management and organizations skills, ability to take initiative and manage multiple tasks simultaneously
- Strong primary and secondary research skills (ethnography, public space observation, program evaluation, etc.)
- Exceptional writing and critical analysis skills, with the ability to communicate complex ideas concisely and for multiple audiences. Experience producing research reports, literature reviews, case studies, and other secondary research material.
- Prior experience and/or familiarity with one or more of the following: (1) public space planning, design and management issues; (2) project management processes; (3) PPS’s methodologies and approach to placemaking
- Commitment to public engagement and community empowerment
- Proficiency with Excel and Microsoft Office Suite, as well as graphic design proficiency including Adobe Creative Suite, PowerPoint, Keynote, etc.
- Experience with economic analysis, surveying, data analytics and visualization
- Prior work experience in planning and design firms or nonprofits
PPS is a nonprofit organization dedicated to helping people create and sustain public spaces that build strong communities. We are the central hub of the global placemaking movement, connecting people to ideas, resources, expertise, and partners who see place as the key to addressing our greatest challenges.
Project for Public Spaces is committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all, regardless of race, ethnicity, gender identification, sexual orientation, religion, age, disability, or veteran status.
Full benefits package includes full health coverage, employee contributed 403(b), TransitCheck, and generous vacation and paid holidays.
Minimum Education Required