District of Columbia
The Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC) is the nation's most effective environmental action group, combining the grassroots power of more than 3 million members and online activists with the courtroom clout and expertise of nearly 500 lawyers, scientists and other professionals to fight for the planet and its people in the halls of Congress, communities across the country, and nations around the globe. NRDC was founded in 1970 and our staff helped write some of America's bedrock environmental laws, including the Clean Water Act, and many of the implementing regulations; our water enforcement cases played a major role shaping current water policy throughout the country. Today, our staff work out of offices in New York, Washington, Chicago, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Bozeman, Montana and Beijing.
NRDC is hiring a politically experienced campaign director to join the Campaigns & External Affairs division in the Center for Policy Advocacy department in its Washington, DC office. Reporting to the Deputy National Campaign Director, the Southeast Region Campaign Director will lead the southeast region campaign team of campaign managers and functionally integrated campaign teams in the southeast U.S. region that will develop and implement strategies and tactics aimed at achieving policy campaign and power-building goals in the region.
- Manage the southeast campaign team's planning and implementation of advocacy and power-building campaign plans in close collaboration with, and under the direction of, the national campaign team.
- Develop the work plans for and manage the functionally integrated regional team consisting of several advocacy, outreach, and communication professionals, and supervise a growing team of campaign managers.
- Manage a portfolio of 2-3 concurrent priority campaigns, including for the NRDC Action Fund.
- Represent NRDC and NRDC Action Fund to coalitions and partner organizations, policymakers, and philanthropic leaders that are active and important to achieving advocacy and power-building goals in the region.
- Develop and organize campaign briefings and reports for internal and external interested parties, including senior management and donors.
- Manage assigned campaign staff, consultants, and vendors.
- Expect regular out-of-state travel (usually 7-10 business days per month).
- Expect occasional late night and weekend work with short notice.
- 10 or more years of experience in politics and advocacy.
- Must have managed (i.e. congressional, statewide, coordinated) or served as a director on one or more major issue advocacy or statewide political campaign.
- The ideal candidate is experienced in and adept as a political strategist, relationship manager, and campaign communication tactician. S/he should be experienced in and well-prepared to frame issues, use polling and other research to guide advocacy communications, and organize outreach to stakeholders and coalition partners.
- Proven experience in managing staff, budgets, internal processes, and project teams.
- Exceptional ability to analyze information, formulate plans, and convey them in writing and through oral presentations. A writing and presentation test may be requested of finalists.
- Track record of cultivating high-level relationships with political, non-profit advocacy, and philanthropic leaders, with a well-established professional network in politics, government, and non-profit advocacy.
- Ability to represent NRDC with maturity, judgment, and professionalism.
- A bachelor's degree.
Preferred Additional Qualifications
- Recent experience working in and having desirable professional networks in Virginia, North Carolina and Florida would be especially attractive, although not required.
- Professional exposure to energy and environmental issues is not required. We are looking for innovative, cutting edge campaign and public affairs professionals, first and foremost.
- Professional exposure to working with congressional and state legislative lawmakers and staff or gubernatorial administrations is desirable but not required. We are not looking for a long-time legislative or government staffer with minimal campaign experience. The ideal candidate is instead a seasoned, politically experienced campaigner who might have a year or more of legislative advocacy experience.
NRDC is committed to workplace diversity and inclusion. We are equal opportunity employers and do not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, marital status, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. We offer competitive salaries, excellent benefits, and a pleasant working environment. Salary is based on a nonprofit scale and commensurate with experience.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, for positions based in San Francisco, CA we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
To apply, please visit www.nrdc.org/jobs and upload your resume and cover letter through our online portal. Please no phone calls, emails, faxes or in-person resume drop-offs. Please reference where you saw this posting. NRDC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
If you are having technical difficulty while applying, please reach out to Customer Care by dialing:
1-800-889-4422<img style="margin: 0px; border: currentColor; left: 0px; top: 0px; width: 16px; height: 16px; right: 0px; bottom: 0px; overflow: hidden; vertical-align: middle; float: none; display: inline; white-space: nowrap; position: static !important;" title="Call: 1-800-889-4422" src="data:image/png;base64,iVBORw0KGgoAAAANSUhEUgAAABAAAAAQCAYAAAAf8/9hAAABcklEQVR4XpXTPUvDUBTH4aR2c2hBQXGpTiIORhBcBOvgYKf0Awi+4Ggr1MVPIIrYdnEpShddHIyLi6AVXVxsRRDRwbi4KNgu4lCIv8i/i6QRDzycy+09555LqOl5nhEUptPoJe1iDHU8oYlrlDw79m4QEbSLPexzsIc8hDRm8YBjLpj4q8EgxQdab+MNd4ghhQ2adIc1+ORAFEnWWfTDRp7GDfImlsIavKALLuqoqMGUCs4wHtagiQ5uc8kDyCOBKlP1k78QNTOZnMXCQRxWsbjl6iuskV41SQG2Gj9rikvcR1WcgKFDBa1LOEUK56hqv8BUFV3SGWkVS9JQ6Dsv4wQ1DKMPORUvkm78BhdQMI1CTa5I0yrcwSFqFD+SZ7DQesIkCG5S/JpkHYERQRmuNsrZ7Grc+Ef8/Bcoslkfae8Wc7CUHZ++TuAEBj86pHntjaDKXllPy6PW/gkKFaThwp/K87N8hDcQTTKKFTioSxqB8Q2BNX5JtAljwgAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==" alt=""/>.
For further information about NRDC, please visit www.nrdc.org
Minimum Education Required