- Reports to: Vice President, Digital Engagement
- Staff reporting to this position: None
- Department: CAP Action War Room
- Position classification: Exempt, full time
The Center for American Progress Action Fund has an immediate opening for a Social Media Associate or Social Media Manager to join a growing digital team with the mission of building the case for progressive policies, values, and candidates.
Strong applicants for this position will be highly organized and detail oriented with strong writing and communications skills. The ideal candidate can do more than copy and paste talking points into tweets and Facebook posts. This person should be excited by the challenge of producing engaging and compelling social content that helps advance CAP Action’s goals and meets target audiences where they are in terms of tone, substance, and platform.
The candidate must be comfortable working both independently and collaboratively in a fast-paced environment and be able to multitask, set priorities, and quickly produce engaging content. Political acumen, sensitivity to the complexities of policy issues, and the ability to engage with communications and policy experts are musts.
- Manage, draft, and produce compelling content for CAP Action’s social media channels that reinforces CAP Action’s brand and amplifies key messaging.
- Develop and implement social growth and engagement strategies for both planned campaigns and rapid-response moments.
- Monitor social discovery tools and stay attuned to current events in order to identify strategic engagement opportunities.
- Connect trending content with meaningful opportunities to take action.
- Work directly with the Art and Video teams to produce effective social media graphics and video content.
- Actively participate in and contribute ideas to team brainstorms and planning meetings.
- Help monitor and manage relationships with progressive social influencers to amplify CAP Action content.
- Identify opportunities for engagement with other progressive brands and individuals.
- Reply to and engage with community members.
- Work with the Audience Development Director to develop a strategy for an online community.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience.
- At least two to four years of professional experience in social media or digital communications, ideally at a nonprofit, public policy, or political organization.
- Excellent writer with strong proofreading skills and sound editorial and ethical judgment.
- Track record of running successful social media campaigns.
- Strong understanding of Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
- Experience working in fast-paced advocacy or electoral environments.
- Experience deploying timely content during rapid-response scenarios.
- Familiarity with social media listening and analytics tools.
- Experience using social media to drive meaningful online and offline actions.
- Detail oriented with an ability to juggle multiple projects for different stakeholders.
- Experience producing and launching persuasion or acquisition Facebook ads is a plus.
- Open to developing new skills and experimenting with new strategies and tactics.
- Positive team player with a passion for progressive change.
American Progress offers full and competitive benefit packages. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.
This position is part of a bargaining unit represented by IFPTE Local 70. The Social Media Associate is level III and the Social Media Manager is level IV. This salary starts at $50,000 for Social Media Associate and $56,000 for Social Media Manager.