The Senior Director of Finance (SDF) works in concert with the Chief Financial Officer (CFO) and in collaboration with members of the Finance and senior management teams to provide a system of internal accounting controls that promote the accurate and timely processing, recording and reporting of financial information. The position also oversees agency grants and contracts, payroll administration and maintains the agency’s banking and commercial insurance relationships. The SDF is a key member the senior management team. He/she provides leadership and strategic direction for the Finance department and may be called upon to serve as a surrogate in the CFO’s absence.
1. Develop and maintain a system of internal accounting controls to promote the accurate and timely reporting of financial information and the safeguarding of agency assets. Establish sound fiscal policies and procedures in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles and requirements of regulatory oversight and funding agencies.
2. Work with CFO to maximize financial outcomes through accurate and timely analysis of budgets, operating costs and financial trends.
3. Oversee the grants and contracts management systems, including cost allocation plans; integrating organization’s annual budget and restricted funding; and monitoring the approval, budget modification, contract reporting, revenue vouchering and collection and audit processes.
4. Coordinate the accurate and timely preparation and distribution of monthly variance reports for all operating units. Prepare monthly summary of contract vouchering and other activity related to contract/grants management.
5. Coordinate the accurate and timely preparation of interim financial statements on a monthly basis. Oversee monthly closing of the general ledger, including reconciliation/analysis of key components of the balance sheet and income statement. Prepare monthly summary of accounting activity to ensure completion of key tasks.
6. Collaborate with CFO and members of the senior management team on development and monitoring of agency-wide annual plan and budget.
7. Provide direction and supervision of Finance staff, ensuring the effective functioning of all accounting activities within the department. Review vouchers prior to submission and assist with development of budgets as part of the request for proposal and contract budget modification process. Work in concert with CFO to provide guidance and overall leadership to the Finance team.
8. Coordinate the annual audit, ensuring that required schedules are prepared in a timely manner. Compile data and develop initial draft of the annual IRS Form 990 return. Develop a corrective action plan, in consultation with CFO to address any management letter comments resulting from the annual audit.
9. Oversee the cash management systems, including use of agency’s line of credit. Also oversee the agency’s commercial insurance and 403(b) retirement benefit plans.
10. Participate in the senior director and senior/exec team meetings.
11. Perform other duties as assigned.
REPORTS TO: Chief Financial Officer
SUPERVISES: Directly supervises Controller, Payroll Administrator and Senior Government Grants Manager
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The responsibilities and requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skills, minimum education, training, licensing, experience and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
The Fortune Society is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will be afforded equal employment opportunities without discrimination because of conviction history, race, religion/creed, citizenship status, color, national origin, sex, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, military status, predisposing genetic characteristics, victim of domestic violence status or marital status.
The Senior Director of Finance (SDF) works in concert with the Chief Financial Officer (CFO) and in collaboration with members of the Finance and senior management teams to provide a system of internal accounting controls that promote the…