The Breakthrough Collaborative is seeking a National Grants Manager with a track record of success in securing grant funding from private foundations, corporate foundations, and government agencies. The right candidate will be an adept writer who is able to synthesize data and information to create persuasive grant proposals that clearly explain the what, why, and how of Breakthrough Collaborative. At a critically important moment in Breakthrough’s history, our Grants Manager will lead the way in crafting a compelling case for support, as our highly successful, 40-year-old organization builds the national infrastructure required to leverage its current scale into deeper impact and strategic growth.
Using the Collaborative’s five-year strategic plan as a roadmap for capacity-building, the Grants Manager will join a national team that is leading this effort by designing services and programs that produce exceptional educational outcomes for our 25 affiliates. This individual will contribute significantly to securing the revenue required to support Breakthrough’s mission and more expansive vision. He or she will be responsible for ensuring inter-departmental collaboration in support of our key funders.
This position requires strong organization and planning skills. The successful candidate will be a versatile manager who can create a plan, execute with excellence and grow with the job, leading the acquisition and development of new staff and/or resources as our grants-office success warrants.
The National Grants Manager is a full-time, permanent position that will report to the National Director of Philanthropy, who is based in Miami, FL. The position can be based in Miami or at our Oakland, CA national office. Consideration will also be given to highly qualified candidates who are located in Indiana, Ohio, or Pennsylvania (where other remote team members work) or in cities that are home to a Breakthrough affiliate.
Fundraising Capacity Building – 20%
- Research and identify new potential grant funding sources and participate in the internal evaluation to determine best fit
- Match potential donors with existing program commitments and new program ideas
- Create and manage standardized templates related to proposal development, information gathering/synthesis, donor reporting, and other purposes (e.g., narrative, financial, graphic, presentation, mapping, etc.)
- Design simple, automated methods of utilizing data to generate background information and illustrative impacts for prospective/existing donors related to programs
- Work closely with team members to draw upon and add to the Breakthrough Collaborative’s core messaging, providing a key resource for knowledge and program communications
- Develop and track grant metrics and performance measures so as to shape the organization’s grants development strategy for optimum success
- Support activities and planning related to the strategic direction of the Breakthrough Collaborative
Grant and Report Writing – 60%
- Work with program team to develop narrative for proposal submissions while adhering to specifications and required timeframes
- Create timelines for submissions and obtain necessary information to compel donor giving and engagement
- Write and review proposal content, including narrative, quantitative, and graphic information.
- Work with program team to develop and transform new ideas into grant proposals
- Create budgets for grants and grant reports
- Coordinate with team on project activities such as the creation of presentation materials
- Oversee and execute a diverse range of proposals, progress reports and related projects
Grant Coordination – 20%
- Work with finance, program, and development staff to gather information necessary to report to funders on current grant programs
- Oversee grant tracking systems and processes ensuring the accurate tracking and reporting of grant and report deadlines and statuses
- Respond to grantor questions and feedback
- In collaboration with the Executive Director and Director of Philanthropy, maintain relationships with funders
- Ensure prompt recording and acknowledgment of grant awards
- Ensure funders are receiving appropriate touch points/interactions by appropriate staff members at appropriate times throughout the year
- Report on grants submitted, stewardship to donors, and upcoming opportunities
- Bachelor’s degree with a minimum of 3-5 years grant writing experience
- Ability to write clear, structured, articulate, and persuasive proposals with strong editing skills
- Strong contributor in a team environment with ability to collaborate to develop information into grant proposals
- Skills in researching potential funding sources
- Ability to work independently under pressure, give high attention to detail, maintain accurate records, meet deadlines, and manage time effectively
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- History of obtaining, managing, and reporting on grants ranging from $10,000 to $100,000
- Ability to thrive in an environment that is fast-paced, creative, dynamic, and growing.
- Experience with grant budgets
- Strong interpersonal skills and a positive attitude
- Knowledge of and familiarity with national private and corporate foundations funding education programs preferred
- Familiarity with government grants funding education programs and/or experience successfully securing and reporting on State and Federal grant funding for programs preferred
- Familiarity with Salesforce Non-Profit Success Pack preferred
- Experience working as a member of a remote or geographically disbursed team
The compensation for this position is commensurate with experience and expertise. We offer competitive health benefits, a 401k retirement contribution, and a generous paid time-off policy. Most importantly, we offer the opportunity to work with an amazing group of smart, dedicated, and fun people!
Minimum Education Required