ExpandED Schools is dedicated to closing the learning gap by increasing access to enriched education experiences. We give children more hours in the school day, bring more role models into the classroom, and infuse their learning with enrichments in literacy, STEM, arts, and sports and opportunities to build character and leadership skills. In our first decade, we created the nation’s first citywide system of K-12 afterschool programs and leveraged more than $500 million in private and public funds. Today, we continue to reimagine learning time – in school, after school and during the summer – developing scalable and sustainable models that provide more quality learning. Since our founding in 1998, we have reached more than one million students and trained more than 30,000 educators and teachers. We:
· EXPAND the school day: Adding 2.5 hours each day; closing the learning gap by 450 hours/school year.
· ENGAGE the community: Bringing additional role models – tutors, coaches, college students and teaching artists – into the classroom.
· ENHANCE the learning: Balancing the curriculum with the arts, sports, STEM and character-building enrichments.
Purpose of the Position: ExpandED Schools’ Research Department is seeking 5-7 part-time Research Assistants to support its evaluation efforts in the fall of 2018 and spring of 2019. The Research Department conducts external evaluations of a large number of federally funded afterschool programs as well as internal evaluations of specific literacy and STEM initiatives. Using research-based tools and methods, we undertake a systematic process to regularly monitor quality and program results. Both streams of work require the formal, structured observations of programs to assess changes in program quality over time as part of our evaluation process. We are seeking Research Assistants to assist in conducting these observations at afterschool sites around New York City.
Duties & Responsibilities: Research Assistants (RAs) will conduct structured observations of a variety of afterschool programs in the fall of 2018 and spring of 2019, with the bulk of the visits occurring from mid-October to early-December and from mid-April to early-June. Depending on the organization’s needs, Research Assistants will be trained in the use of 1-3 different instruments to evaluate the quality of youth experiences in afterschool program activities:
1. The first tool, the Ready Readers Formal Observation tool, was created by ExpandED Schools and a coalition of afterschool partner organizations to align with the specific requirements of the Ready Readers early literacy program model. Use of the Ready Readers Formal Observation tool requires a two-hour in-person training at ExpandED Schools’ headquarters in Manhattan.
2. The second instrument, the Out of School Time (OST) Observation Instrument, was developed to provide afterschool site visitors with a framework to capture and rate essential and observable indicators of positive youth development. Use of the OST Observation Tool requires a two-hour in-person training at ExpandED Schools’ headquarters in Manhattan.
3. The final instrument, the Dimensions of Success (DoS) Observation Tool, was developed by the PEAR Institute to define key aspects of a quality STEM learning experience in OST programs. Use of the DoS tool requires observers to complete a two-day online certification course.
Once trained in their assigned observation tools, RAs will be responsible for scheduling and conducting 8-12 observation visits during the fall of 2018, approximately 1-2 per week. Following each visit, RAs will complete a rubric to score their observation and submit a brief structured report of their findings within 5 business days.
Qualifications: Research Assistants are expected to:
· Be dependable and organized, with excellent time management skills.
· Have strong communication and writing skills.
· Be professional at all times through quality of work, punctuality, attendance, and attitude.
· Display the initiative and ability to learn knowledge of the field.
This is a part-time position that offers some scheduling flexibility. Research assistants must be available at least 2 afternoons per week between the hours of 2:30-6:00pm during the months of mid-October to early-December and from mid-April to early-June. Teaching and/or youth work experience is preferred. Must be willing to travel across all boroughs.
Compensation: Research Assistants are paid a set rate of $150 per observation visit. This rate covers the time necessary to schedule each visit, travel to and from the site, conduct the observation, and write the accompanying report. Any additional hours required for in-office training tasks will be compensated at a rate of $25 per hour.
Application Process: ExpandED Schools will review applications from the time of posting through August 19th. Candidates must be available to attend a one-hour interview on August 29th between the hours of 9am and 6pm as well as a training and onboarding session on September 13th from 1pm to 5pm.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org, Subject: Research Assistant. No faxes or phone calls, please. ExpandED Schools will only contact candidates selected for an interview.
ExpandED Schools is an Equal Opportunity Employer