Every employee of IRI is responsible for carrying out the Mission of IRI and demonstrating the Core Values in their day to day operations. The Core Values, which are IRI’s foundational building blocks include:
Excellence- We believe in quality results delivered by investing in people. Freedom- We believe in exploration and experimentation to be agile and responsive. Respect- We believe in trust, empathy and empowering people. Teamwork- We believe in diversity, inclusion and the power of global collaboration Transparency- We believe in open communication and clear decision-making. Accountability- We believe in personal responsibility as the foundation of success.
The Ethiopia IOM Program Officer (PO) is responsible for working with the Africa Division Leadership, Senior Program Manager, Program Manager and Ethiopia IOM field team to support the planning and execution of IRI’s Ethiopia IOM project. S/he closely monitors and analyzes political developments in Ethiopia, contributing toward internal and external reports on the election process. S/he will play a leading role in coordinating with CEPPS/NDI headquarters staff on the joint implementation of IOM initiatives. The Ethiopia election date is not yet set but anticipated to occur in May/June 2021. The Africa team has funding for this full-time position for approximately six to eight months, ideally starting January 4, 2021.
- Undergraduate degree in political science, international relations or related field.
- Three to five years’ professional experience in democratic governance and politics, preferably working on elections-related projects, especially international or domestic election monitoring and reporting.
- Demonstrated experience working on or studying the politics, economics, history and culture of East Africa, with a strong preference for knowledge of Ethiopia.
- Strong written and oral communication and presentation skills.
- Strong logistical and organizational skills and experience coordinating between diverse stakeholders to achieve a common goal.
- Demonstrated experience working with US Government funded projects and familiarity with USG regulations and processes, especially USAID.
- Experience with program management, implementation and basic accounting necessary to draft and oversee a budget.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively direct or participate in complex negotiations with bilateral and/or multilateral government agencies, other funders or relevant audiences.
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a team to coordinate and lead the efforts of other professionals to effectively meet program goals.
- Ability to travel to new and challenging environments.
Primary Functions & Responsibilities:
- Monitors, analyzes and reports on political and related developments in Ethiopia to provide regional and country analysis and information as it relates to the electoral process.
- Anticipates and troubleshoots project problems and offers solutions and actively takes part to lead resolution of them with creative and immediate solutions.
- Oversees implementation of specific grant(s) and associated grant activities.
- Maintains an understanding of IRI policies and procedures related to grant compliance and oversight as well as assigned grants’ specific substantive, financial and compliance requirements per its respective funder.
- Supports efforts to ensure that grants are in compliance with grant agreements and completed on time.
- Monitors and ensures proper tracking of budget estimates and program expenditures to ensure that IRI projects remain within budget allocations and leads regular team budget analysis discussions.
- Oversees and participates in all monitoring and evaluation efforts for grants assigned, in particular working with the field team on developing M&E and data collection tools (including the election reporting templates and checklists), as well as required donor reporting.
- Leads efforts to evaluate and uses information related to the approved grant work plan.
- In collaboration with the field team, drafts, reviews and edits information to ensure high quality quarterly, semi-annual, final and other relevant reports for funders
- Establishes, maintains, and develops strong working relationships with relevant stakeholders in DC and abroad.
- Actively supports IRI’s communication strategy including IRI’s branding and outreach plans, including drafts and updates program summaries and other outreach materials, drafts web stories, tweets, etc.
- Travels as needed for program oversight and implementation; if an immediate need arises deploys on short-to long-term service in a program in the field to maintain continuity of the program.
- Assists Program Manager in overseeing Program Associate(s), is consulting in hiring and evaluation process. Contributes ongoing performance feedback in coordination with the Program Manager.
- Participates in cross functional teams and initiatives (optional).
- Performs other duties as assigned.