Are you looking to give back to the Southeast Asian community? The Southeast Asian Development Center (SEADC) is looking for a Bilingual (Vietnamese) Family Assistant. The Bilingual (Vietnamese) Family Assistant reports to the Youth Development Program Manager.
The ideal candidate primary responsibilities are to support with youth transitions and academics and to facilitate communications and advocacy among students, their families, and local public schools. The BFA will provide individual support and, with the support of the Program Manager, will be the direct contact with schools for Vietnamese youth and families. The BFA will support high school students to gather financial documents for Financial Aid and help with application processes. The BFA will support parents with any communications from SFUSD and SEADC.
Southeast Asian Development Center (SEADC) mission is to foster a healthy, thriving, and self-sufficient Southeast Asian American community.
Founded in 1977 San Francisco’s Tenderloin District, the Southeast Asian Development Center, formerly Vietnamese Youth Development Center (VYDC) is a nonprofit organization dedicated to lifting children, youth, and families from Cambodia, Laos, and Vietnam out of poverty. Our services are structured around providing low-income and vulnerable Southeast Asian Americans with basic needs and skills critical to building successful futures. We provide jobs, academic support, language service, health, and wellness, promote cultural resiliency and social guidance.
The Youth Development department's goal is to prepare youth in grades kindergarten through high school to be college and work ready. The department’s programs include daily out of school time program activities for K-12 graders focusing on tutoring, homework support, life skills and enriching social/cultural activities, teen leadership development activities, career exploration and job placements.
Benefits include: medical, dental, vision, AD&D, commuter benefits, 12 holiday days, 15 vacation days and 10 sick days per year.
We require all employees to be fully COVID vaccinated with the card to show proof of vaccination. Fingerprinting and TB background check is also required.
- Support the recruitment of youth clients
- Support with K-12 after school and summer programming Monday-Friday
- Provide Academic Support, 1:1 Check-ins
- Direct communication with school administration and counselors for Vietnamese English Language Learner (ELL) youth providing any updates on youth monthly
- Provide semesterly 1:1 parent check-in updating on child’s progress, and needs of support
- Provide 2 parent workshops per year focusing on educational support
- Support High School students (and their parents) from Vietnamese-speaking households with the college application process
- Support Vietnamese English Language Learners (ELLs) students with direct service – Homework help/Tutoring, Classroom Management
- Communicate with and engage youth and families
- Support Youth Development Specialist(s) for successful implementation of after-school programming
- Other duties assigned by Supervisor
Youth Direct Services:
- Recruit and support K-12 ELL youth with group and individualized support - Homework support and 1:1 Academic and wellness check-ins
Family Liaison Services
- Regular and ongoing communications with youth clients and their families re any updates regarding SFUSD and/or SEADC programming
- Check-in with parents every quarter to give a summary of the youth progress
- Provide 2 workshops (once a semester) for parents to learn how to support youth in their education (ie. how to support youth with their homework/academics)
- Direct communication with schools for Vietnamese ELL youth
- Provide translation support with Financial Aid for high school youth and parents
- In collaboration with the College Pathways Coordinator, identify high school families that need support with the college application process (ie, financial aid, college applications)
- Support in recruitment and communications
- Reporting attendance, enrollment numbers, and narrative to program manager
Experience and Skills:
- Commitment to the mission of SEADC
- COVID-19 vaccinated or meet requirements for exception (medical/religious)
- Two years or more of work experience in community programs
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite; Salesforce
- Able and willing to work at the Center on a daily basis
- Fluency, and preferably literacy, in Vietnamese language
- Experience working with low-income and marginalized individuals
- Knowledge of services and programs for adult and families living in San Francisco.
- Knowledge and ability to interview and complete screening and assessment of clients
- Experience working with at-risk and high-risk individuals, youth, adults, low-income individuals, immigrants, and/or English language learners; knowledge of cultural competency to underserved populations
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills with one-on-one and in groups
- Cultural competency and sensitivity to working with individuals of diverse cultural backgrounds
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, both one-on-one and in groups
- Self-starting, self-motivated, and able to work within a team and on multiple tasks to meet deadlines
- Demonstrate compassion, patience, reliability and professionalism
- Strong organizational skills
- Possess excellent time management skills
- Ability to independently develop solutions, take immediate action, manage multiple projects with competing priorities, and complete them in a timely manner
- Experience in working with volunteers, interns, and professionals
- Ability to work cooperatively on a multi-disciplinary diverse team
- Must be flexible with varying schedules and activities during the week
- A passion and commitment to the SEADC’s mission.
- TB and fingerprinting clearance required.
- Possesses multi-limb and eye-hand coordination
- Able to stand, bend, reach, stoop and lift boxes up to 25 lbs.
- Able to work in a fast-paced environment for extended periods of time
- Able to sit at a desk, working on computer and phones for a full work day
- Able to engage in program activities and events which require walking and presenting
Please send your resume and a cover letter to: email@example.com; please put “Bilingual (Vietnamese) Family Assistant” in the subject line.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and committed to embracing diversity and consider all applicants for all positions without regard to color, ethnic background, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, HIV/AIDS or veteran status.