Freedom House promotes the spread of freedom and democracy around the world through research, advocacy, and programs that support frontline activists. We are a leader in identifying threats to freedom through our highly regarded analytic reports, including Freedom in the World, Freedom of the Press, Freedom on the Net, and Nations in Transit. With 13 field offices and two U.S. offices, we support the right of every individual to be free.
The Proposal Coordinator (PC) will work with a wide range of Freedom House staff including technical, finance and program management staff at headquarters and in the country offices. The PC will work with International teams to prepare and submit well designed proposals in response to donor requirements. Ideal candidates will have both demonstrated experience in conceptualizing the elements and approaches of a winning proposal in addition to the organizational skills needed to oversee the management of multiple proposals on a daily basis. The PC will also provide administrative, business research, writing support and data analysis to Freedom House programs as needed. This position is based in Washington, DC, and reports to the Senior Coordinator for Proposals.
- Bachelor’s degree in political science, international relations, or related field
- Minimum six months related experience or combination of education, training and experience
- Strong ability to communicate effectively in English both verbally and in writing
- Strong knowledge of human rights principles and mechanisms, and understanding of democracy promotion
- Mastery with MS Office Suite, specifically Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Detail oriented and an ability to accept and complete administrative tasks with a great attitude
- Ability to collaborate with others and work as an effective team member for the success of team
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision, and meet all goals and deadlines
- Ability to maintain the highest degree of confidentiality regarding all aspects of work at all times
Some Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide guidance and support to all program teams on proposal writing, formatting, project design, budget development and review
- Find and track funding opportunities within the U.S. Government, including USAID and the State Department, as well as foreign governments and foundations
- Create and maintain tools for proposal tracking, including a tracker for future and ongoing new business opportunities for all Freedom House programs, and a tracker for all proposal submissions
- Help facilitate cross-team collaboration on new business development opportunities
- Regularly coordinate knowledge sharing amongst teams and sharing of donor feedback
- Frequently draft and send correspondence to various donors relating to new business development
- Coordinate regular meeting logistics, including for brainstorming and strategy sessions, bid-no-bid meetings, senior staff proposal update meetings, and regular knowledge-sharing meetings
- Brief executive staff weekly, if not more frequently, on proposal developments and organization-wide issues relating to new business development
- Facilitate Freedom House’s role and relationship in consortia
- Work closely with the finance department to provide timely and accurate reviews of program budgets
- Train new staff on the proposal process and provide staff more in-depth trainings related to proposal development, including on common budget issues related to both Freedom House internal regulations and USG financial compliance
- Assist teams in recruitment efforts through advertising positions and evaluating applications
- Keep up to date with USG and foreign government international development funding priorities and processes by regularly attending relevant events, trainings, and working groups
- Facilitate obtaining donor feedback on proposals, and integrate lessons learned into new program designs
- Other duties as assigned.
Work Environment and Physical Demands:
Essential functions are typically performed in an office setting with a low level of noise. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Disclaimer: This job description is only a summary of the typical functions of the job. It is not an exhaustive or comprehensive list of all possible job responsibilities, tasks and duties. The responsibilities, tasks, and duties of the jobholder may differ from those outlined in the job description and that other duties, as assigned, may be part of the job. Freedom House may add, change, or remove essential and other duties at any time.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Qualified and Interested Applicants
We invite qualified candidates to complete an online application and submit a resume, and cover letter with desired salary (only candidates who send salary requirements will be considered for the position).
Only candidates who have been selected for an interview will be contacted.
Only candidates authorized to work in the U.S. without any restrictions need apply.