Details: Hourly Salary- Dependent on Experience
Spoons Across America,® the recipe for healthier children, is a not-for-profit organization dedicated to educating children, teachers, and families about the benefits of healthy eating. We work to influence the eating habits of children through hands-on education that celebrates the connection to local farmers and the important tradition of sharing meals around the family table.
Spoons Across America is currently seeking an organized, engaging, and self- motivated team player to join our team as a Food Educator beginning with the 2018-2019 school year. Working under the direction of the Director of Programs and Partnerships, our Food Educators work in multiple New York City public schools to teach food literacy, nutrition, and cooking programs to 1st through 5th grade children. Additional office responsibilities focusing on planning and implementation of programs are also included.
This is a part time, 20-25 hours per week, non-exempt position. See below for more details regarding commitment and schedule.
● Plan for and lead hands-on lessons and activities around taste exploration, healthy cooking, and nutrition to elementary aged children in schools and community centers.
● Work with children to make discoveries and facilitate discussion and interaction
● Support children with kitchen skills and safety in food preparation
● Work with parents/families during family engagement sessions
● Set up and clean up all materials.
● Communicate and work with volunteers as required
● Shop/purchase fresh food for classroom lessons (for reimbursement) as needed.
● Prepare program materials for distribution to program sites as needed.
● Maintain regular communication with Director of Programs regarding program implementation, outcomes, and volunteers.
● Attend regular staff meetings, trainings and workshops as needed
● Participate in ongoing evaluation of programming
● Use social media to promote Spoons’ mission and program as requested.
● Complete other duties as assigned
● Demonstrate genuine passion and enthusiasm for the mission of Spoons Across America.
● Possess a love for working with children, with at least 1-2 years of demonstrated teaching experience.
● Superb communication and classroom management skills.
● Highly organized, responsible, dependable, flexible, patient and detail-oriented.
● Ability to work independently and as part of a team. Ability to work well with staff, teachers, interns, and volunteers to promote the mission of Spoons Across America
● Dynamic personality with good sense of humor and appreciation for education and healthy, local food.
● Computer proficiency, including Microsoft Office and Google Calendar/Docs
● Able to lift 25 lbs.
Time Commitment and Location:
● 20- 25 hours per week. Flexibility Monday-Friday during school hours (8- 3:00) is required. (A full year program schedule is created in the Fall to assist in planning and scheduling.) May include possible evening or weekend hours.
● Classes are held in public schools throughout the NYC boroughs. Food Educators are assigned to teach in different schools throughout the week with possible office hours as well. (The majority of hours during the school year are in the classrooms with office hours during breaks and the summer.)
● Generous paid time off plus 10 paid office holidays per year
Generous paid time off plus 10 paid office holidays per year
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please send the following to Ali McDowell, Director of Programs and Partnerships: firstname.lastname@example.org
● A cover letter that highlights the experiences (both work-related and personal) that qualify you for this position.
● A resume detailing previous work, volunteer, academic, and other experiences that qualify you for this position.
● Please include where you heard about the position and put “SAA Food Educator” in the subject of your email.
*PLEASE NOTE: We are reviewing applications, conducting interviews, and making selections on a rolling basis, so early applications are strongly encouraged. You will be contacted if we wish to set up an interview. Although the position does not begin until September 1st, we hope to complete the interview and hiring process by the end of July.