Looking for a Mission, not just a job?
Want to have a huge impact on the health of society? If you are passionate about making a
difference through a mission you believe in, then we want you on our Team!
At the non-profit American Nutrition Association (ANA), we envision a society of Healthy People, Powered by Nutrition. We bring that vision to life through our mission to Champion the Science and Practice of Personalized Nutrition.
Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer (CEO), the Senior Vice President (SVP) for Development serves as a key executive and member of the leadership team making strategic decisions affecting the ANA. In partnership with the CEO, this position is responsible for all fundraising and development activities. The successful candidate will help forge new relationships to build the ANA’s visibility, impact and financial resources. The SVP for Development will also design and implement a comprehensive plan for developing key external alliances by cultivating,
soliciting and stewarding philanthropic support from individuals, corporations and foundations.
The SVP for Development will have primary responsibility for building on the existing Development infrastructure to grow our budget through major gifts, conference sponsorship, corporate and foundation support. They will expand and diversify the ANA’s donor base/pipeline and work closely with other team members to secure funding for new initiatives.
In addition, the SVP for Development will work closely with the Board of Directors and support board members as they take on a more active fundraising role.
- Serve on the executive leadership team, supporting the CEO to strategize and achieve the mission of the organization
- Work in partnership with other department heads of the organization
- Drive the overall Development strategy and activities of the organization, leveraging our many support and Board member resources
- Help build the Development Department into a 4+ person team over time
Major Donor Fundraising
- Grow a major gifts program including identification, cultivation and solicitation of major donors, with special focus on five and six figure gifts
- Direct and plan capacity building capital campaign, including hiring and managing a firm to conduct a feasibility study and serve as Campaign Counsel
- Partner with and train Board members and Strategic Advisors by assisting in goal setting, strategy, and coaching, and providing materials and tools, and participating in solicitation calls.
- Staff the Board Campaign Committee
- Participate in the Board recruitment process for new members
- Provide regular and consistent fundraising reports to the Board of Directors and Strategic Advisors
Cultivation, Stewardship, and Recognition
- Manage the full spectrum of the donor pipeline including identification; qualification through research; cultivation; briefing; request for support; and prompt follow up, stewardship, and recognition.
- Manage donor recognition programs Founders Circle (major donors) and Elements Society (annual fund)
- Oversee and manage the Ambassadors’ program
- Record, track, and manage donors in Salesforce
- Ensure timely acknowledgement/recognition of donors and contributions as appropriate through mail, email and/or phone
- Oversee and manage Nutrition Leaders Council and Personalized Nutrition Summit corporate sponsorship programs
Ideal Candidate Skills
- Demonstrated interest in nutrition, food, or health and/or driven by an interest in the mission personally and/or professionally
- Ten or more years of development experience with progressive levels of responsibility, including broad knowledge of all functional areas of fundraising (major, planned, and annual giving; corporate and foundation giving; stewardship) and leadership in a major capital campaign, preferably within a major cultural institution, nonprofit organization, educational institution, or other environment of similar complexity
- Demonstrated ability to cultivate major gifts
- Demonstrated ability to provide strategic and operational management, leadership, and coaching
- Proven ability to personally cultivate, solicit, and steward individual and institutional donors at five to six figure levels. Demonstrated strength in prospect discovery and in building effective strategies to compel new major donor investment.
- Experience integrating giving programs at various levels to cultivate greater donor commitments
- Demonstrated ability in planning and executing integrated, strategic, and innovative communications in support of achieving fundraising goals
- Ability to extract and analyze data to make effective, efficient decisions about donor strategy and process. A working knowledge of modern data management practices and innovations that can streamline the development process and contribute to the integration of related functions
- A forward thinker with a track record of utilizing new methods of donor engagement and connectivity, who will be driven by innovation in developing philanthropic best practices in the current and post-COVID-19 world
- Ability to adapt and gain proficiency utilizing new systems and processes in an efficient and timely manner
- Extensive, in-depth Salesforce experience
- Ability to travel as necessary, consistent with public health guidelines
- Full time
- Location: Hinsdale, IL (20 minutes west of downtown Chicago)
- Start Date: Flexible
- Compensation: Based on experience