Details: Salary is $50,000 and up, depending on experience.
Attorney for Family Violence Survivors
Join Montana Legal Services Association and make a difference. You’ll enjoy Montana’s outdoor lifestyle while representing those without a voice in our legal system. MLSA is a progressive Montana non-profit law firm. We offer our attorneys challenging and fulfilling litigation work, a supportive and collegial work environment, a healthy work-life balance, and a generous benefits package.
Who We Are: MLSA is committed to the idea that equal justice under the law is a right, not a privilege. We are zealous advocates for Montanans who struggle to make ends meet and deserve their day in court.
- Our attorneys have pursued impact litigation all the way to Montana’s Supreme Court, helping to level the playing field for all Montanans.
- We are nationally recognized for our forward-thinking approach to civil legal aid and for our use of technology to advance the cause of justice for all in Montana.
The Position: We’re looking for a Staff Attorney to be based in the offices of the Haven domestic violence organization in Bozeman. The pay range we’re offering is $50,000 and up, depending on experience.
- MLSA offers company-paid health, dental, vision and life insurance; an educational loan repayment assistance program; a 403(b) retirement plan; and eligibility for a health reimbursement or health savings account.
- We also offer a generous paid leave package, including annual, personal and sick leave, and a wellness leave program.
- And if you move from another town in Montana to join us, we offer up to $500 for relocation reimbursement (or $1,000 if you move from out of state).
- A law degree and current license to practice law in Montana is preferred. We will consider applicants with the ability to waive in with a qualifying UBE score, or a willingness to take and pass the next Montana Bar Exam.
- Prior legal services experience is preferred, but a demonstrated commitment to social justice through volunteer activities and internships is valued.
- Overnight and day travel to surrounding communities is required as needed.
- Represent survivors of family violence in Bozeman and the surrounding area.
- Work primarily in the area of family law, but may also assist with other poverty law issues including consumer, housing, employment, public benefits, and probate.
- Provide legal services ranging from brief counsel and advice, to full-scale representation and litigation.
- Participate in MLSA’s statewide initiatives and impact work, and implement grant and contract requirements through casework.
The Location: You’ll be based in Bozeman, home of Montana State University and Montana’s gateway city to Yellowstone National Park and the spectacular Paradise Valley. You’ll enjoy easy access to world-class skiing, hiking, fly-fishing, and whitewater rafting on the Gallatin and Yellowstone Rivers. A college-town vibe and growing high tech economy make Bozeman one of Montana’s most vibrant cities. The Bozeman office is located near the heart of the bustling downtown and within walking distance of great local coffee shops, eateries, and local craft breweries.
Why Should You Apply?
- Live your values and put your law degree to work by representing people who deserve a voice in our legal system.
- Great benefits, generous leave, and competitive pay.
- Access to free CLE seminars and opportunities to attend national conferences and trainings.
- The chance to hone your litigation skills in a friendly and supportive work environment.
MLSA offers an attractive benefits package, including health, dental, vision, and life insurance, retirement and educational loan repayment assistance.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
How to Apply: Email a cover letter, resume, writing sample, and three professional references to email@example.com. Screening of applicants is ongoing and the position will remain open until filled. The priority deadline for applications is November 19, 2018.