30 Broad Street, 9th Floor
New York, NY 10004
iMentor builds mentoring relationships that empower students in low-income communities to graduate high school, succeed in college, and achieve their ambitions. Students work with their mentors one-on-one, in-person and online, to develop strong personal relationships, nurture a college aspiration, navigate the college application process, and build critical skills that lead to college success. In New York City, Chicago, and the Bay Area, iMentor partners with public schools to ensure every student in the schools receives a mentor. iMentor also provides its curriculum, technology, and best practices to help nonprofits run effective programs in the iMentor model.
Since 1999, iMentor has connected more than 25,000 students with mentors and this year, iMentor is serving nearly 9,000 students across the country. iMentor has been recognized through funding from many of the leading education funders in the country, including the Ballmer Group, the Michael & Susan Dell Foundation, the Robin Hood Foundation, the Bezos Family Foundation, New Profit Inc., and the Kresge Foundation.
iMentor is one of the nation’s most innovative and quickly growing college success organizations. As a team, we are mission-focused, results-oriented, passionate and fun, and were named one of the Best Nonprofits to Work For by Opportunity Knocks and The Nonprofit Times.
iMentor is seeking people-oriented project and change management champion to be our next Systems Innovation Specialist (SIS). This position will be responsible for start-to-finish systems management, from problem identification and requirements gathering to post-implementation reflection, as well as ongoing training and multi-layered support to move our systems infrastructure into a proactive, creative, and innovative age. This person will report directly to the Director of Business Innovation and will collaborate closely together to identity teams and internal stakeholders to shepherd through the change process.
The ideal candidate will bring at least six (6) years of professional experience with at least three (3) specific to project management and process iteration knowledge. The SIS will be an effective tactician who is able to negotiate, reconcile, and navigate the gray areas of a project and organization, bring a level of high-emotional intelligence to process system requirements, and highlight must-haves to offer creative and alleviating solutions to stakeholders’ inquiries and needs. This candidate must have a passion for supporting young people from under-served backgrounds, an eye for diversity, equity, and inclusion in technology, and the drive to co-create an environment that is conducive to sustainable business systems innovation.
Project & Implementation Management
- Co-create annual Business Innovation roadmap by gathering departmental requests and assessing high-priority projects in partnership with Director of Business Innovation
- Lead system innovation process from gathering system requirements to post-implementation training and development
- Communicate project guidelines and benchmarks to internal and external stakeholders
- Liaise and manage external vendors and contacts for each innovation project
- Provide detailed updates to key stakeholders and senior leaders throughout each stage of the integration and adoption process
- Manage implementation process by scheduling, participating in and leading demos, user experience testing, and final implementations
- Shepherd departments through the process of translating documents and information to any new systems
- Ensure data fidelity and security throughout any transition process
- Assemble detailed guides and articles for iMentor’s internal wiki for students, mentors, and staff in accordance with system and user requirements
- Lead in person and virtual training sessions to onboard staff to new system(s) and share out new implementations and updates to each platform as they launch
Systems Support & Analysis
- Co-manage Business Innovation’s ticketing system to code and prioritize system needs
- Serve as system(s) admin for all Business Innovation-owned systems, troubleshoot any user issues, and escalate any major system failings with vendor and support staff
- Continue to assess efficacy of each implementation of our programmatic or systems goals/outcomes
- Innovate new implementations, present to stakeholders, and assess their potential in ensuring goals/outcomes
- Six (6) years or more of professional experience with at least three (3) being specific to project management and process driven work
- Proven project leader with a strong planner with a keen eye for the details; managing others to success; able to move tasks and projects across complex departmental structures
- Understanding, knowledge, and in-depth interest in creating and supporting effective user interface and experience in systems
- Demonstrated relationship building experience; someone who can listen, process and reconcile needs and demands, and who is comfortable with saying no and building consensus
- Ability to demonstrate a high level of tact, discretion, and diplomacy while dealing with confidential and sensitive information
- Interest and passion for business and technological systems and software, keeping up-to-date with industry advancements
- Deep connection to continuous learning and working with others to develop technological literacy
- Keen written and verbal communication with an eye for customer/stakeholder service
- Thinks proactively and strategically about the products that others need to do their jobs and achieve goals, and takes the initiative to deliver
- A compelling, effective presenter and trainer; comfortable and confident in front of a wide variety of people and groups; able to bring people along and help laypersons to understand communications and marketing concepts that may be unfamiliar to them
- A passion for issues of higher education equity and access, and/or youth development; cultural competence; strengths-based perspective on our students and our work
- Cultural attunement to communicate the work of organization, challenges and success of our students with respect, inclusiveness and strengths-based perspective
- Aligned in thought and action with iMentor's values (http://www.imentor.org/values)
- Views differences between individuals (race, gender, age, cultural heritage, physical ability, education and lifestyle) as an asset and demonstrates an appreciation of the diversity within iMentor
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Employment is contingent upon the completion of a satisfactory fingerprinting and criminal background check, conducted by the Division of Human Resources at the New York City Department of Education
Compensation & Benefits
- Salary commensurate with experience
- Up to 100% employer funded comprehensive medical and dental coverage
- 18 days paid annual vacation and 13 paid holidays + most iMentor functions closed between Christmas and New Year’s Day
- 401K match up to 4%
- Significant opportunities for professional development and growth
How to Apply
Visit www.imentor.org/jobs to submit a resume and detailed cover letter describing your interest in and qualifications for the position. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis, so it is in candidates’ best interest to apply as soon as possible. No phone, email, mail, or fax inquiries will receive a response.
iMentor is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Minimum Education Required