1500 Union Avenue
Disability Rights Maryland (DRM) seeks a Legal Director to join our team as we strive to create an integrated and just society by advancing the legal rights of people with disabilities throughout Maryland. DRM is nonprofit 501(c) (3) organization, Maryland’s designated Protection & Advocacy (P&A) agency and a member of the National Disability Rights Network. DRM will be celebrating its 40 year anniversary in September.
DRM advances the civil rights of people with disabilities by focusing on systemic barriers using a wide array of advocacy strategies. We maximize our impact and resources by concentrating on changing systems, laws and policies to bring about significant and lasting improvements for large numbers of people with disabilities. DRM engages in class action litigation targeting identified priority areas. Current and recent cases have resulted in greater access to housing, transportation and education for thousands of Marylanders with disabilities. We conduct outreach and training to inform and empower people with disabilities; their family members, advocates and service providers; and other interested persons and monitor regulations and legislation that will have a broad impact on Marylanders with disabilities. Within legal and funding restrictions, we engage in policy advocacy. DRM also monitors and conducts investigations in facilities to keep people with disabilities free from abuse and neglect.
GENERAL JOB DESCRIPTION
The legal director will serve as part of DRM’s leadership team together with the director of litigation, director of finance, director of operations and the executive director. With members of the leadership team, the legal director is responsible for the planning and execution of DRM goals and objectives, including long-range planning, litigation docket, administration, legislative education and advocacy, public and media relations, budgetary planning, staffing, and other operational issues. With the Director of Litigation, the legal director will oversee, coordinate and monitor DRM’s legal work and advocacy projects based on approved DRM program priorities. The legal director will mentor, supervise and support the professional development of managing attorneys, staff attorneys, paralegals, advocates and volunteers. The legal director will also monitor for professional excellence and compliance with all standards for professional practice.
The ideal candidate will possess the following qualifications:
· A J. D. Degree from an accredited law school.
· Passion for advancing the legal rights for people with disabilities.
· Licensed to practice law in Maryland. For attorneys already admitted in another jurisdiction, must be admitted to practice in Maryland within the maximum time allowed for such admission by the rules of the State Bar of Maryland.
· A minimum of seven (7) to ten (10) years of legal work experience, preferably including litigation, in positions of increasing responsibility. At least two (2) years of experience providing direct supervision of legal work preferred.
· Strong leadership abilities.
· Ability to communicate complex legal issues clearly and effectively both orally and in writing.
· Ability to mentor and develop legal skills and talent of DRM legal staff.
· Strong interpersonal skills and ability to establish and maintain effective working relations and collaborate with DRM staff and colleagues in a team environment and motivate and direct staff.
· Experience in the administration and management of a law firm or legal services organization.
· Computer literacy and proficiency with software utilized to carry out job functions.
· Experience working with and/or sensitivity to persons with disabilities and from multi-ethnic communities.
· Ability to travel throughout the State of Maryland.
Individuals with disabilities, people of color, LGBTQIA+ individuals and others who contribute to staff diversity are especially encouraged to apply. DRM is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
HOW TO APPLY
Mail cover letter with resume and writing via email with “Legal Director” in the subject line to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis and the position will remains open until filled.
For more information about Disability Rights Maryland, please go to: https://disabilityrightsmd.org/