1970 Broadway, Suite 1125
The Ella Baker Center for Human Rights is a nonprofit organization based in Oakland, CA, working to advance racial and economic justice to ensure dignity and opportunity for low-income people and people of color. In our 20 year history, we have worked on issues including jump starting the green jobs movement, promoting civic engagement, violence prevention through youth leadership, and transforming juvenile justice systems in California. We are currently working to end mass incarceration in the United States through Truth and Reinvestment—moving resources away from failed criminal justice policies and into creating opportunities, also known as "books not bars, jobs not jails, healthcare not handcuffs."
The Ella Baker Center for Human Rights “EBC” is seeking a passionate and dedicated individual with a penchant for racial and economic justice.
This position will report to the Director of Organizing and will work alongside peers of Organizers and Advocates to drive organizing efforts in Alameda County. The Organizer and Advocate will assist in developing our membership, which is a pathway to advocacy for anyone, anywhere, to join in advancing our goals. This position will also aid in executing strategies to develop the leadership of directly impacted individuals. We define "directly impacted" as anyone that is formerly or currently incarcerated or detained and their family members.
This is a full time non-exempt position.
Schedule will include some evenings and weekends as necessary.
- Collaborate with team to execute an organizing strategy to recruit and develop EBC's membership.
- Strategize and execute specific plans to recruit, engage, and develop the leadership of directly impacted individuals to join our membership and advance our campaigns.
- Coordinate and cultivate tools to keep members engaged and connected and identify and develop member leaders.
- Mobilize and turnout members for events, including hearings, conferences, etc.
- Act as a representative for the Ella Baker Center in coalitions and memberships and attend relevant conferences, meetings, and trainings.
- Act as a liaison for Ella Baker Center to various allies and organizations, such as labor, faith, other criminal justice related non-profits, and other youth/family organizations as necessary.
- Represent Ella Baker Center publicly as a spokesperson as necessary.
- Attend relevant hearings and meetings and provide testimony and statements as necessary.
- Work with volunteers and interns to assist in outreach and organizing goals.
- Plan and execute member actions and mobilization
- Build relationships with local organizations, community leaders, allies, and unlikely allies in order to build support for Ella Baker Center's vision.
- Assist in strategic organizational planning as necessary.
- Assist in administrative duties as necessary.
- Participate in requisite Ella Baker Center activities (i.e. staff meetings, trainings, fundraising, administrative responsibilities, events)
- Proven commitment to racial, economic, and gender justice
- 1-2 or more years experience in community, labor, or other relevant grassroots organizing. Union organizing experience is a plus.
- 1 or more years experience working in and leading coalitions
- 1 or more years experience leading criminal justice campaigns
- 1 or more years experience in event and/or conference planning highly desired
- Proven track record in growing and developing an organized base of members, constituents, or community members
- Demonstrated success in recruiting, training and developing member leaders
- Ability to meet deadlines and achieve goals
- Knowledge of criminal and juvenile justice reentry issues, challenges, and best practices, particularly around economic gaps and needs
- Knowledge of Alameda County's political and economic landscape highly preferred
- Understanding of and ability to navigate juvenile and criminal justice systems preferred
- Ability to cultivate relationships with likely and unlikely allies, including policymakers, stakeholders, and community members
- Team player attitude
- Strong verbal and written skills
- Excellent time management skills
- Proficient in computer skills, including Internet navigation, word processing, PowerPoint, etc.
- Ability and willingness to travel as necessary
- Driver license
We offer a competitive benefits package:
- Employer paid healthcare insurance which includes medical, dental, vision, chiropractor, and acupuncture
- Paid time off including vacation, sick, and holidays
- 401(k) plan with up to 3% employer match
- Commuter benefits
Level of Language Proficiency
Bilingual in Spanish and English is highly desirable
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Individuals of color, LGBTQ, individuals with past involvement in the justice system or who have loved ones currently or formerly in the justice system are strongly encouraged to apply.
To apply, please submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com