Assistant Teachers needed for our North and West Philadelphia Locations
- Job posted by Caring People Alliance
Details: Compensation is commensurate with experience
Statement of General Purpose
The Assistant Teacher is responsible for assisting with planning and presenting meaningful learning experiences and for creating an ideal learning environment for children in the Day Care Program of the Community Center.
Examples of Essential Functions and Responsibilities
- Assists in planning, presenting, monitoring, and supervising all classroom, Community Center, and field trip learning experiences for Day Care Program participants to encourage and support intellectual, emotional, and social growth of the children; to correct disciplinary problems in an understanding, positive, and non-physical manner; to promote a positive self-image for each child; to respect the dignity and worth of each child; to encourage creativity; to create awareness of cultural diversity; and to promote a positive attitude toward school and learning.
- Assists in developing and implementing a variety of formal and informal learning activities to provide children with the necessary experience, skills, knowledge, and attitude to succeed in the Day Care Program and to graduate to a regular school environment.
- Knows where each child in Day Care Program is at all times.
- Assists in introducing children to basic concepts to prepare them for reading, arithmetic, and other subjects and concepts; assists in teaching group socialization skills such as communicating, sharing, and mutual respect; assists in using meal and snack time as learning experiences; participates in all creative and dramatic activities.
- Assists in preparing and using classroom materials, equipment, displays, bulletin boards, exhibits, and decorations to create an ideal learning environment; maintains classroom in clean and orderly fashion.
- Assists in planning, scheduling, and arranging field trips and other activities of interest and educational value, and accompanies children and Day Care Teacher on these trips.
- Assists in the preparation of formal advance plans of lessons, activities, field trips, events, themes, presentations, etc.
- Collaborates with Day Care Program administrators and staff in a team approach to develop methods and techniques to optimize child growth and development.
- Participates in in-service and outside staff training; utilizes external training and educational opportunities to augment teaching skills; applies increased professional growth in classroom environment.
- Develops knowledge and awareness of social and human services programs and other resources available to Day Care Program participants and their families.
- Assists in identifying and referring child development, performance, behavior, discipline, relationship, and other problems to Day Care Program management.
- Identifies and refers indications of child abuse to Day Care Program management.
- Meets with parents and Day Care Teacher to discuss individual and Day Care Program activities and progress.
- Assists in maintaining accurate attendance records; assists in preparing individual progress reports; assists in providing routine and exception reports to Community Center management.
- Ensures compliance with all governmental requirements for Day Care Programs, including teacher qualifications, teacher-to-student ratios, health and safety, etc.
- Performs related work as required.
- Knowledge of the modern methods, principles, and practices of early childhood education; of child growth and development; and of the content, methods, and materials used to teach children in early childhood.
- Ability to assist in the development of curriculum content and appropriate instructional methods; to assist in the planning and preparing of lessons; to assist in the development of materials for use in instructional programs; to express ideas clearly and concisely; and to exercise good judgment in addressing and resolving problems.
- Ability to assist in providing Community Center management with accurate and timely reports and recommendations.
- Ability to communicate effectively with children, parents, employees, and others in a positive, pleasant, professional, and productive manner.
- Associate’s Degree in Education, Early Childhood Education, Elementary Education, or related field, or Child Development Associate (CDA) certification, or
- Any equivalent combination of acceptable training, education, and experience.
- This position includes the normal physical demands associated with a day care or similar program, including lifting, bending, and carrying; and travel to other facilities throughout the Philadelphia area.
- This position is subject to the overtime provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act.
Competitive benefits including Medical, Dental, Vision, and Pension Plan.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
If interested, please submit resume and self-introduction to email@example.com