Ayuda is excited to be launching a new office in Montgomery County, and this is a key position for starting our new venture.
Ayuda is a 501 (c)(3) nonprofit organization dedicated to providing direct legal, social and language access services; education; and outreach to low-income immigrants in the Washington, DC metropolitan area. Since 1973, Ayuda has provided critical services on a wide range of issues, in the process acquiring nationally recognized expertise in a number of fields including immigration law, language access, domestic violence and human trafficking. Ayuda has office locations in Washington, DC and Falls Church, VA.
WHY YOU WANT THIS JOB?
Because, just like everyone at Ayuda, you believe:
- In seeing communities where all immigrants overcome obstacles to succeed and thrive in the United States.
- In the overall success of our organization and all our programs.
- That families should be healthy and safe from harm.
- That all people should have access to professional, honest, and ethical services, regardless of ability to pay or status in this country.
- That diversity and equality make this country better.
WHAT WILL THIS JOB ENTAIL?
- Provide logistical support as Ayuda moves forward with opening a new office in Montgomery County, Maryland.
- Receive and direct incoming calls and answer questions concerning Ayuda’s services and intake procedures.
- Provide and track referrals to outside service providers.
- Greet current and prospective clients, and guests.
- Conduct initial screenings and conflict checks for all potential clients.
- Serve as the primary office manager and operations point of contact for the Maryland office.
- Purchase office supplies and liaise with Ayuda’s technology provider to support Maryland office.
- Liaise with building representatives to resolve any problems with the office.
- Support legal teams by translating documents and forms from Spanish to English.
- Enter data into Quickbooks and Legal Server.
- Assist attorneys and social workers with written and telephonic communication with clients and potential clients.
- Keep case files current, create new files and close out files.
- Copy and prepare application packets for mailing.
- Collect fees, issue receipts, and invoice clients using QuickBooks.
- Provide assistance with special projects, such as outreach and research.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
HOW DO YOU KNOW IF YOU CAN DO THIS JOB?
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Eligibility: Must be legally able to work in the United States and maintain proper work authorization throughout employment. Must be able to meet the physical requirements of the position presented in a general office environment.
- High School diploma or GED
- 2+ years related experience
- Proficient in Microsoft Office
Required Knowledge and Skills:
- Excellent customer service skills
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Professionalism with both internal and external customers
- Professional demeanor, strong work ethic, discrete, resources, and ability to maintain confidentiality
- Ability to communicate with a variety of people, both internal and external
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team environment
- Ability to initiate and follow through on work independently
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent time management skills
- Ability to meet assigned deadlines
- Ability to adapt to changing priorities
- Strong multi-tasking abilities
SALARY AND BENEFITS:
Low to mid $40k range, plus a benefits package that includes medical and dental insurance, life and AD&D insurance, and long-term disability insurance, as well as an employer-provided retirement plan match. All federal holidays and closures observed and paid leave for the week of Christmas through New Year’s Day.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please apply with resume and cover letter. Writing samples may be requested.
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Apply early for full consideration. No phone calls, please.
Ayuda is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and inclusive culture. It is Ayuda’s policy to be fair and impartial in all relations with employees and applicants for employment and to make all employment-related decisions without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, age, sex, marital status, gender identity or expression, disability, sexual orientation, or any other categories protected by federal, state, or local law. We encourage applications from members of underrepresented communities.
Ayuda’s dedication to social justice means that all positions will be committed to working with people from diverse cultural, linguistic, economic, educational, and vocational backgrounds.