The Associate, People Operations (Payroll and Benefits) is a part of Room to Read’s global People Operations team. The Associate will be responsible for the Global Office (GO) payroll and employee benefits administration. The day-to-day responsibilities will include providing detailed, practical and valuable support related to compensation, business insurances (risk management), and compliance. The Associate will report to the Manager, People Operations (Global Compensation). This is a full-time position that is based in Room to Read’s global headquarters in San Francisco, CA (open to candidates in New York City).
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Administers outsourced payroll in all Global Office (GO) locations including the US and other GO locations (Australia, Hong Kong, Japan, Nepal, Singapore, Switzerland, UK).
- Directs the payroll processes for local staff hired under PEO model, working closely with vendors.
- Directs local payroll companies on setting up payroll and benefits programs for Global Office staff in new locations, as needed.
- Maps and reviews payroll processes with the Accounting team to ensure maximum efficiencies and compliance with statutory requirements and audit recommendations.
Business Insurances (Risk Management):
- Administers Room to Read’s domestic and global business insurances for the US and other GO locations.
- Tracks and leads the annual renewals of all business insurances.
- Prepares W-2s, ACA submissions, and other market-specific tax filings and benefits submissions for the US and other GO offices.
- Audits invoices related to payroll and benefits and manages all communication with Room to Read’s brokers and vendors.
- Assists the Accounting team in tax filings and annual audits by providing documentation and reports from Workday, personnel records, and third-party payroll vendors to auditors.
- Manages leaves of absence for employees in the US and other GO offices.
Compensation and Other:
- Assists Manager, People Operations (Global Compensation) in conducting annual salary surveys, analyzing compensation, and other administrative tasks involved in implementing the compensation program.
- Maintains current knowledge and understanding of benefits, payroll and insurance related regulations, laws, industry trends, practices, and developments regarding People Operations that may affect Room to Read. Advises management and employees accordingly.
- Other duties, as requested.
- Bachelor's degree in Human Resources Management, or a related field
- 3-5 years of relevant experience in People Operations, Human Resources or a service-oriented role in a related sector
- A working knowledge of front-end payroll processing and benefits administration
- Knowledge of federal, state and local laws, statutes, etc. and leave administration
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy
- Strong organization and time management skills
- Demonstrated ability to maintain confidentiality and effectively handle highly sensitive and personal information with sound judgment, tact, and discretion
- Ability to concurrently following multiple detail-driven projects and consistently follow through with assignments and meet deadlines
- Ability and interest in working on both qualitative and quantitative tasks
- Prior success working closely and building relationships with diverse groups of people
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English
- Strong computer skills, including Microsoft Office suite (Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint)
- Legally eligible to work in the United States; no sponsorship provided
- Effectiveness in working or volunteering in a non-profit organization that is focused on maintaining high quality work and low overhead
- Prior experience in a fast-paced, growth-oriented global or regional organization
- A working knowledge of Workday payroll and benefits administration (or another HRMS)
Room to Read offers a competitive salary with excellent benefits. Benefits include health, dental, vision, long-term disability insurance, life insurance, commuter benefits and a 401K match. The non-monetary compensation includes a unique opportunity to be part of an innovative, meaningful, fun, and rapidly growing organization that is changing transforming the lives of millions of children in developing countries by focusing on literacy and gender equality in education
Global Office - Main - San Francisco
To be successful at Room to Read, you will also:
- Have passion for our mission and a strong desire to impact a dynamic nonprofit organization
- Be a proactive and innovative thinker who achieves results and creates positive change
- Have a very high level of personal and professional integrity and trustworthiness
- Embrace diversity and a commitment to collaboration
- Thrive in a fast-paced and fun environment
- Room to Read is proud to be an equal opportunity employer committed to identifying and developing the skills and leadership of people from diverse backgrounds. EOE/M/F/Vet/Disabled