ADMINISTRATIVE OFFICER POSITION FOR INTERNATIONAL NON-PROFIT BENEFITING WOMEN AND GIRLS IN AFRICA
- Job posted by Global Grassroots
Details: Compensation commensurate with experience, but constrained by our small non-profit status.
Global Grassroots is a small Portsmouth, NH based, international non-profit organization founded in 2004 that supports conscious social change for women and girls. We operate a social venture incubator that provides female survivors of war and violence with mind-body trauma healing, mindful leadership skills, social entrepreneurship training and seed funding to start their own social purpose organizations benefiting other women and girls. We are currently operating in Rwanda and Uganda with genocide survivors, formerly displaced survivors of violence and vulnerable high school girls.
Global Grassroots is seeking an Administrative Officer to work directly with our founder and President to provide key administrative support for our core operations. Working as part of a dynamic, virtual team, the Administrative Officer will provide oversight of the back-end functions of the organization, including finance, human resource, legal, communications, logistics, administrative, and general office management areas. The Administrative Officer should have a deep understanding of non-profit HR and finance, should be proactive and capable of thinking strategically, able to determine risk, and have a knack for logistical matters. The ideal candidate should be detailed oriented, have strong follow-through skills, able to prioritize multiple assignments, and handle complex tasks independently in a fast-paced environment. The Administrative Officer has access to confidential and discretionary information, and as such, the ability to be discreet and exercise sound judgment is key.
Responsibilities will include:
- Managing organization's budget and finances, including overseeing the processing and accuracy of staff and program expenses, processing of donations, managing our online expense tracking system (Concur), coordinating with accounting and bookkeeping teams for Quickbooks integration, and providing documentation for tax preparation
- Providing monthly financial reporting for President and board, including tracking ongoing income and expenses versus budget and participating in financial planning meetings
- Collaborating with fundraising personnel to ensure that appropriate records relating to contributions, such as copies of checks, credit card contributions/charges, etc. are maintained
Human Resources & Legal
- Setting up and maintaining confidential employee files, forms and contracts, including overseeing the onboarding of all new F/T and P/T employees
- Contributing to the development and implementation of policies and procedures governing personnel, volunteers, interns and visitors internationally and in the US
- Overseeing any needs related to payroll processing (ADP), workers compensation and unemployment withholdings, and health insurance and benefits policies
- Ensuring compliance with all IRS, state and country registration and reporting requirements
- Managing any legal or documentation requirements related to our proprietary curriculum, intellectual property agreements, the training, licensing and use of our materials by staff, partners and trainees, and releases for use of participant data and photography, among other needs
- Overseeing maintenance of annual insurance policies, including health insurance, workers compensation insurance, business & owners insurance, liability insurance and property insurance, among other needs
- Managing relationships with vendors providing benefits services
- Responding to employee inquiries regarding benefits, payroll, and other administrative concerns
- Overseeing all HR policies as outlined in GG’s Employee Code of Conduct
- Coordinating with fundraising personnel in the maintenance of the database (eTapestry, a BlackBaud platform) for communications and donors
- Tracking and maintaining organizational records including official and legal documents, tax exempt status, bank accounts, insurance policies, audit documents, etc.
- Researching and establishing an impact data management and analysis system to ensure ease of impact reporting for donors and board
- Managing organizational program files
- Monitoring outside inquiries and communications needs
- Facilitating and improving communication methods within the organization
- Collaborating with our Fundraising and Communications Officer in the management of multimedia content, website updates and social media presence
- Responsible for the smooth organization and running of office needs in three countries (US staff work remotely), including office supplies, training supplies, software, subscriptions and equipment
- Providing logistics support for programs and events
- Supporting additional projects and meeting/event set up and execution (including Board of Directors meetings) as needed
- Ensuring that all organizational activities and operations are carried out in compliance with the regulations and laws governing business operations of a non-profit organization
- General administrative support, and occasional research
- Working closely with President & Founder, providing overall support. Acting as ‘right hand’; anticipating needs to provide maximum efficiency and impact.
- Bachelor’s Degree required with approximately 4-5 years’ experience in HR, office management, operations, financial management, and bookkeeping preferably in a non-profit environment;
- Knowledge of and familiarity with QuickBooks accounting software; experience with financial spreadsheets and data management systems, tax support, bookkeeping and payroll duties required, preferably in the context of an international non-profit;
- Demonstrated ability to communicate with a diverse set of community stakeholders – Board of Directors, partners, program participants, staff, consultants, etc.;
- Natural tendency to be proactive in offering ideas and new ways to enhance the work;
- Ability to conceptualize systems and processes from start to finish;
- Excellent interpersonal, written, and oral communication skills;
- Impeccable time management skills and the ability to meet all internal and external deadlines;
- Ability to maintain a high level of professionalism and confidentiality;
- Demonstrated ability to be self-motivated and flexible;
- Work well both independently and on a team;
- Proficient computer skills, including Microsoft Office Suite (Word, PowerPoint, and Excel); experience with database and information management software a plus;
- Strong attention to detail and strong work ethic;
- Proficient in social media and design software a bonus.
This position is currently offered initially for 20 hours per week with the possibility of increased time or full-time as needs grow. Work schedule can be flexible. Occasional urgent crunch periods. Location is also flexible – work from home and occasionally interact with staff and President who work remotely.
Global Grassroots is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against otherwise qualified applicants on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, mental or physical disability, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender orientation or expression, marital status or veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic under applicable federal or state law.
We offer unique benefits including a progressive, flexible, and supportive work environment. We promote and nurture a healthy culture and support opportunities for personal well-being and professional development. Global Grassroots offers partial health insurance reimbursement dependent upon P/T or F/T role, and guaranteed vacation time, in addition to 2 weeks a year of office closure, paid vacation/sick days/holidays, and maternity/paternity leave.
Level of Language Proficiency
Only English is required.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Provide resume, cover letter and 2-3 professional references to the attention of Gretchen Steidle, President, at email@example.com by November 1. Candidates that meet our interest will be contacted the week of November 12 to schedule an interview. Anticipated start date in mid-December, early January, or mutually agreeable date.