In New York City, Brighter Bites partners with City Harvest to deliver its innovative program model in School District 30 which covers Long Island City, Astoria, and Jackson Heights. The Program Associate position will require regular travel throughout northwest Queens and Brighter Bites offices at Queensboro Plaza.
The Program Associate works primarily at assigned sites (schools/camps) to manage and support Brighter Bites program implementation. This position is part-time and seasonal, requiring candidates to be available for 18-20 hours per week during the active weeks of programming from July – August and late September – early June.
- Constantly strives to engage families, site partners, and community members in Brighter Bites mission of creating communities of health through fresh food.
- Management of multiple school and camp sites to oversee delivery of Brighter Bites program.
- Onsite at each assigned morning bagging in a leadership role. Oversees bagging process including receiving produce, managing family and community volunteers, problem solving independently with site partners.
- Supports Program Coordinator with afternoon produce distributions including engaging families in healthy recipes, distributing nutrition materials, playing educational games with children, and recording family participation on electronic rosters.
- Completes electronic paperwork on personal phone or Brighter Bites tablet, depending on preference.
- Learns the basic principles of CATCH, the nutrition education program utilized by Brighter Bites, and communicates these messages to site staff, children, and families.
- Works and communicates effectively with key site contacts, volunteers, and families to implement Brighter Bites program policies and procedures while creating and maintaining a friendly, fun, and health-conscious environment.
- Collaborates with Brighter Bites Program Coordinators and Director to tailor Brighter Bites program implementation to the culture of each site.
- Communicates with Brighter Bites team to share successes and challenges for each assigned site and provides insight for improvement.
- Contributes to city-wide social media posts by taking photos during programming.
- Contributes to city-wide fundraising/marketing events, as needed.
- Coordinates and collaborates across departments, sites, and organizations regarding Brighter Bites activities and strategies.
- Assists with all aspects of Brighter Bites program implementation.
- Manages multiple sites for Brighter Bites program, including program schedules, location and distribution schedules, and budgetary implications.
- Works effectively with key contacts at sites as well as site volunteers regarding all program components and policies including produce bagging (when necessary), produce distribution, preparation of weekly snack sample, and delivery of nutrition education.
- Tracks Brighter Bites program components by maintaining accurate data and reports for each site.
- Collaborates with Brighter Bites team on development, implementation, and management of program policies and procedures.
- Interacts with the public and/or external organizations to facilitate program dissemination.
- Informs management of key activities and makes periodic program evaluation and progress reports.
- Communicates with the larger community to share objectives and outcomes.
- Prepares and delivers oral presentations at professional meetings as assigned.
- Helps ensure Coordinated Approach to Child Health (CATCH) curriculum is implemented at assigned sites, teaching CATCH lessons as needed or assisting in the placement of interns to teach.
- Oversees work of external interns, volunteers, and/or Brighter Bites Associates at sites to ensure proper program implementation.
- Assists with fundraising/marketing events, as needed (may include some weekends).
- Other duties as assigned.
- Desire to work with a mission-driven organization. Passion for sharing the power of fresh food with others, especially children and families.
- Advanced Spanish language skills required. Bilingual (Spanish/English) preferred,
- Residence in Astoria, Jackson Heights, or the surrounding area a plus.
- Ability to work independently, with the support of volunteers and site partners.
- Understanding of key nutrition education concepts.
- Basic culinary skills and strong interest in cooking.
- Previous experience working with children and parents, preferably in an educational setting.
- Stellar writing and interpersonal communication skills.
- Well-functioning smart phone with sufficient data and GB space required.
- Intermediate computer proficiency, including comfort using phone/tablet apps, Excel spreadsheets, and Google calendar.
Operational and Physical Requirements
- Must be able to travel independently to school sites around Queens (w/ transit stipend provided).
- Must be able to work actively, on your feet for 3-4 hours at a time, and lift produce boxes/bags 10-50 pounds each continuously on a daily basis.
Start Date & Work Schedule
- The Program Associate will be assigned to school/camp sites on Wednesday, Thursday, and Fridays.
- A typical day will include an 8AM – 11/12PM morning shift and a 2PM – 4/5/6PM afternoon shift. Depending on season and site, length of day may vary.
- The Program Associate also attends a team meeting on Monday or Tuesdays.
- Fall programming cycle: late September – early January
- Spring programming cycle: mid-January through early June
- Due to the work schedule (AM and PM shifts with unpaid breaks in between) this position is ideal for a public health student who is seeking paid experience in the field. Program Associates will have use of the Brighter Bites office during break periods to personal projects.
- $17 per hour, for approximately 18-20 hours per week during the active weeks of programming.
Level of Language Proficiency
Spanish - fluent
Minimum Education Required