As the nation’s largest mentoring agency, Big Brothers Big Sisters of Eastern Massachusetts (BBBSEM) is committed to promoting the healthy development of children through the nurturing of continuing, one-to-one friendships with caring responsible adults, supported by trained professional staff. To further our mission, over the past few years we have partnered with schools in the Boston area to bring our program and services closest to youth who need them. This role is a critical part of making sure people know about and have a chance to participate in our programs.
Within our Community Engagement team, we are a customer-focused, goal-driven department and that drives the vision, strategies and tactics to increase participation from volunteers, families and external partners
As a Collegiate and Community Partnerships Coordinator, you will play a truly unique role in driving the strategic growth of the agency through the ownership of collegiate volunteer recruitment and youth outreach efforts. Additionally, you will cultivate, recruit and support our mentor-rich and youth-rich organizations and institutions that can provide sustained volunteer and youth participation across our programs. In this role you’ll also actively manages the inquiry and referral pipeline and deepen/expand our external relationships to enhance the agency’s ability to achieve its mission.
- Conduct campus-based and school-based mentoring outreach and recruitment activities sessions as needed. Build local student support structure around referral/recruiting opportunities at high priority colleges and provide targeted support to those students
- Execute annual business plan to meet or exceed goals for collegiate volunteer and youth enrollment, focusing on the development of superior relationships with mentor-rich organizations, other not-for-profit executives and school system administrators for campus-based and site-based programs.
- Identify, pursue and obtain collegiate and institutional partners who can provide ongoing supply of potential volunteers. Initiate and maintain relationships with decision makers through consistent and appropriate communications and meetings.
- Create, monitor, analyze, and report on key collegiate recruitment pipeline metrics; use data to drive increasing success. Proposes real-time optimization strategies to improve performance.
- Regularly analyze market data and research to understand and identify collegiate volunteer recruitment trends, challenges, opportunities, and strengthen the case for partnering with BBBSMB to ensure recruitment goals are met for campus and site-based programs.
- Regularly review collegiate recruitment being handled by other Recruitment Associates to ensure BBBSMB recruitment goals are met for campus and site-based programs.
- In coordination with the marketing team, explore and develop procedures to strengthen customer service and to broaden the agency’s volunteer appeal and client reach.
- Develop and deliver targeted volunteer recruitment campaigns focused on alumni, affinity groups, current Bigs, distinct communities and ethnicities, and develop plans to leverage national BBBS recruitment campaigns.
- Bachelor’s degree with one or more years of work experience, preferably in youth development, volunteer or program management, and/or education with high school students
- Minimum of one year of success in recruitment and account management, with sales background preferred. Volunteer management, customer service, community organizing, collegiate campaign experience a plus.
- Knowledge of the Greater Boston collegiate landscape, communities, and cultures. Existing network of community and collegiate relationships to leverage in this position a plus.
- Able to create competitive and innovative recruitment and referral strategies and design systems to build direct engagement of current volunteers in generating referrals and recruiting opportunities; prioritizes the frequent review of recruitment sources, channels and pipeline to ensure goals are met.
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office programs (excel, powerpoint, etc.)
- Ability to communicate with professionalism, assertiveness, and empathy to large groups and individuals verbally and in writing
- Must be willing and able to travel throughout the region when necessary. Must be available to attend events in the early morning, evening and weekends.
- Bilingual Spanish-English skills preferred.
- Experience successfully working with and recruiting collegiate volunteers along with keen understanding of volunteer motivations, needs, and expectations strongly desired.
- Demonstrated comfort and ability to work with and motivate a wide variety of people, including youth and professional adults, with a preference for candidates with experience in racially, ethnically, and socio-economically diverse urban and/or recent immigrant communities
- Passion or working in the community: forming, maintaining and strengthening relationships with youth sources
- Demonstrated ability to identify, prospect, pursue, and close leads.
- Effective and confident public speaker; proven ability to develop strong working relationships. Excellent communication skills, written and verbal.
- Exceptional relationship management skills; ability to network and gain access to decision-makers; genuine listener; comfortable making cold calls and setting up appointments; consultative sales approach.
- Ability to successfully work independently and in a team environment.
- Proven organization and time management skills to complete a high volume of varied responsibilities in a fast paced setting
- Excellent strategic problem-solving ability with a positive, “can do” attitude