We seek an organized, energetic, and innovative Office Manager wishing to work as an integral part of a legal defense team on behalf of parents facing child welfare intervention.
East Bay Family Defenders (EBFD), located in San Leandro California, will be opening our doors to clients on September 1, 2018. Our mission is to keep families together and minimize the time children spend in foster care. We seek staff to join us by mid-August to build a cutting-edge, interdisciplinary family defense practice. We will provide innovative legal defense, social work support, and peer mentorship to all parents facing child welfare intervention in Alameda County who cannot afford to hire counsel. We will advocate for systemic change in Alameda County Juvenile Court and the local child welfare system to reduce system intervention in families and promote community-based preventive resources and restorative solutions that meaningfully strengthen families.
The Alameda County Juvenile Dependency Court will appoint our Staff Attorneys to represent parents in cases filed by the Department of Children and Family Services alleging child maltreatment. Our interdisciplinary teams provide compassionate, zealous client-directed legal defense while addressing underlying issues that brought the family into the child welfare system. We promote interdisciplinary collaboration within our staff and value diverse experience that equips staff for delivering the highest quality of representation to our clients. We will partner with a robust network of community-based providers and allied advocates, drawing upon their expertise to address families’ complex needs.
Our dedicated, fast-paced, client-focused office seeks a reliable, well-organized, full-time Office Manager to handle day-to-day operations with a focus on details, efficiency, and time management. This is an ideal position for an energetic professional with excellent communication skills who enjoys wearing multiple hats and tackling new challenges. Expected professional growth for this position includes hiring and supervision of additional administrative staff. The position requires commitment to creating a warm and welcoming atmosphere for clients as well as to promoting a healthy work environment for staff.
Duties and Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- General office operations: greeting clients, primary phone reception, managing vendor contracts and relationships, ordering office supplies and managing supply inventory, physical and and electronic filing, document scanning.
- Human Resources: hiring and termination paperwork, staying informed of current HR procedures, managing employee benefits, coordinating new staff hires.
- Processing payroll.
- Bookkeeping: process bill and reimbursement payments, petty cash; track donations and create charitable contribution acknowledgments.
- Assist with event coordination.
- Provide light executive assistance to Co-Directors.
- Conflict checks: Run names of new clients through EBFD conflict check system for possible conflicts and coordinate with Co-Directors and Supervising Attorney for communicating attorney assignments.
- Scheduling: coordinate intake scheduling for attorneys: maintain updated courtroom calendars and staffing chart.
- Case data maintenance: oversee the administrative opening and closing of all client files, and participate in routine auditing for accuracy and completeness.
- Associate degree required (B.A. or B.S. preferred)
- Experience with payroll and human resources processes
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite
- Ability to flourish in a high-energy environment
- Ability to multitask and be a productive team player
- Ability to work compassionately and respectfully with clients in crisis
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Excellent verbal, interpersonal, writing, and organizational skills
- Bilingual skills preferred
- Experience working with individuals from multi-ethnic communities
East Bay Family Defenders is an equal opportunity employer. We believe in access and inclusion of multiple dimensions of diversity, including race, ethnicity, gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, religion, and disability. We are committed to implementing equitable practices and promoting diversity at all levels of our organization.
Competitive benefits package will include health and dental coverage and generous paid time off.
Level of Language Proficiency
Bilingual skills preferred
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please email a cover letter, resume, and three references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until positions filled.